Magical insta-papers from a tosogu flip in Japan

GRC

Here's an interesting little situation:
A set of fuchi, kashira and kozuka were recently sold on Yahoo J without papers or attribution.
To my eye, the three pieces looked like they could have been 3 separate pieces that could have come from different sources and/or different makers and were pieced together as a set at some point.
1631812056289blob.thumb.jpg.a1104e38cfed5df962513b589f38ceb4.jpg

Now just days later, they have been listed again by a different seller, but suddenly have a box to hold all three and magically, the set now has NBTHK papers stating they are a set of tosogu from a specific smith in the Nara school! None of the pieces are signed... :shame:

I find this really suspicious. 
I've heard of rapid COVID testing, but not rapid tosogu testing ;-)

How do these pieces get shipped to a new seller within Japan and suddenly get NBTHK papers in 10 days or less (1st listing ended on the 10th, new listing started of the 15th)?
I'm also curious to see how it ends... will the tsuba flipper get their money back on the investment?  

1631812176210blob.thumb.jpg.51fc03f2f12930f3e7f7b59c89bea054.jpg

• Like 2

Dear All.

This design, in these materials is so common it is not at all surprising that there are multiples around.  Quality does vary between them.  No need for it to be a split daisho or anything remarkable. They have always been suggested as Nara, it's nice to see a papered set to confirm this.

All the best.

• Like 1

Yup, clearly my error in switching back and forth between pages, rather than looking at the images side by side.

My apologies for the red herring post.

But at least we have a few takeaway messages:

1- it’s a very common theme and there are lots of them.

2- some at least can be attributed to the Nara school, but who knows who was producing these once they were at the height of their popularity.

3- i’m clearly too overworked and tired at the moment to have noticed the differences in these two sets.:crazy:

Thanks to everyone who responded and cleared that up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..