Japanese sword

nickgun

3 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Nick,

welcome to the NMB!

Is there something you want to ask?

In case you want to sell this, you have to put a price down.

I will start at the previous owners asking price of $8500.00 i don't know if this is a fair price for this sword, I buy and sell antique guns & civil war items. i traded for this sword a few years ago. I sell on Gunbroker i am Nickgun on GB.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:45 PM, nickgun said:

I will start at the previous owners asking price of $8500.00 i don't know if this is a fair price for this sword, I buy and sell antique guns & civil war items. i traded for this sword a few years ago. I sell on Gunbroker i am Nickgun on GB.

Japanese katana in Shira-Saya. This one is inscribed on both sides by two smiths. About sixty inscriptions total. Right side has thirty-two and left side has twenty-eight. The Kaji {Sword maker} is “Yoshi Fumi,” My translation “Goshu Ishivana Ju Yoshi Fumi.” The swordsmith that shortened the blade is “Etchu Ju Fujiwara Hiro Mitsu Kore” Shortened Showa 19 nen 7 “Gatsu- Kitsu” lucky day. Also reads { Emperor Style, manner,ethics,morals,six,fit,suit,join,did,kami(deity) Shu (govern state),Konata (this),(pay supply),Whose virtue is big sun (ten thousand),old) (ancient times) Ten’ no (Emperor of Japan).The other inscriptions are poems about the Emperor of Japan, “ HIS INFLUENCE COVERS THE WORLD-DIETY WHO GOVERNS THIS HOLY LAND-WHOSE VIRTUE IS LIKE THE SUN-EMPEROR DID SO MANY YEARS”{ One lucky day in march}. Dated Genji (1865)-Ni (2) San (march) GATSU KITSU JITSU. Overall measures 34-1/4 inches, with a cutting edge of 25-3/4 inches, shortened about two inches, original cutting edge was {27-3/4} inches. This is all I can identify at this time, any corrections will be welcome

The reverse side contains a part of a patriotic poem written in the 1800s by Fujita Tōko. The poem celebrates loyalty and a virtuous, righteous Japan, and was popular from the Bakumatsu era to the end of WW2. 

神洲孰君臨 萬古仰天皇

皇風洽六合 明徳侔太陽

It's written in Chinese style, so translation requires to go from this hybrid Chinese/Japanese 19th century poetic style, to modern Japanese, to English, which is a bit of work. It's something like

Heaven sent the Imperial Family to rule over Japan,

and their clear and manifest righteousness has spread across the land since ancient times

You can find the original, complete poem here

http://www.shigin.com/hiroaki/kansi_syuu/kansi_syuu-10/buntensyou.htm

I don't see the Genji date anywhere on the sword or on the papers. The papers indicate a date sometime circa Kōka (1840s). 

Archived