NAOTADA TSUBA MEI AND MOTIF

Ron STL

I have been studying a tsuba belonging to a friend that was made by NAOTADA, associated with shinshinto Naokatsu. As some may recall, I have been studying Naokatsu and students, both swords and tsuba. My first question is to find a translation of the complete mei. I have been unable to understand what the complete mei is. 

Second part of this post. The tsuba is typical of the group that copied the style of Nobuiye. Here it looks like the plate might have a series of kanji carved on it in hiragana (?). If so, does this translate into something?  It is an interesting tsuba to enjoy, wish it was mine. But it is always available to study, being local. RonSTL

IMG_5772.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

MEI.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

The carving on the Tsuba is a famous maxim/Proverbs of TAKEDA Shingen.

pic #1:
人は城、人は石垣、人は堀、
(Hito wa shiro,hito wa ishigaki,hito wa hori, )
People are castles, people are stone walls, people are moats,

Mei is 秀斎(Shusai/Hidesai,gago)  and 直忠(Naotada).

pic #2:
情けは味方、仇は敵なり。
(nasake wa mikata,ada wa kataki nari.)
Sympathy is needed to the peoples,and Don't be passionate.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

I am also impressed and both I and the owner thank you so very much. My guess is that this was a special tsuba, possibly by request, to carry these proverbs. Whatever, this information will become part of this tsuba's file. I'll search through my book of Nobuiye oshigata to see if by chance these proverbs might be found.

The Hidesai  (alternate readings) used by Naotada have not been found elsewhere, to date. Seldom see much on these lesser smiths. Not sure if it means anything but notice Naotada used the final vertical stroke in Nao which is later dropped. Again, thanks for your fine explanation of this motif. 

Ron STL 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..