Upcoming estate auction

I also saw 286 and thought the same thing! Glad my eyes are catching sugata others too thought were worth catching. 

I tossed some modest bids on a couple hoping the smaller auction house would fly under the radar (I’m from IA and was hoping I could sneak a win). I did lots of research and narrowed down my selection and placed my bids….But then I also learned they’d partnered with both LiveAuctioneer and Invaluable…. And I’d already been outbid before I’d even placed my own bids directly on the site 🤦‍♂️🙄

Did anyone else have a suspicious eyebrow raise on this one? Something about the tsuba, mei and kanji spacing, and horimono have me nervous for a potential buyer: https://jacksonsauction.com/catalogs/2021/SEP/detail/default.aspx?ID=286

Yes, for sure its Tsuguhiro. And the tsuba is 長州住 正定 (Chōshū-jū Masasada), but the catalogue mistakenly speculates that it says Bushū-jū Masa-something).

These feel like amateur mistakes that shouldn't be happening at an auction house "with a reputation based on honesty, expertise, reliability, scholarship". 

I initially thought 307 might be interesting simply due to the more unique style of blade but rest of that individual package is nothing to speak of.  Taking a chance would only be at a very low bid and appears to now be at $500.  Also noticed that the tip of kissaki is broken off(?) and the shape/sugata seems ‘off’???  So hard to tell from those pics and probably not worth the gamble.  

The lack of more detailed photos leads me in a certain direction.  If they were interested in selling, they would provide more and better info/pics… unless they REALLY want these gone and don’t want ‘details’ muddying up the sale;-)

On 9/12/2021 at 8:53 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

And that Masashige is one of those dang RS with an NCO tassel. 

Noticed that too. But depending on how the bidding goes, not a bad deal for a late-war saya and star stamped gendaito and the buyer could recoup some of the money by selling the tassel.

Got overly excited by 300, but then I studied a bunch of oshigata side by side with the mei, and I think it’s gimei.

Regarding the auction house’s goofs, they do have over 600 lots and just 30ish swords in not wonderful shape, so priorities probably went elsewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..