Unethical Sellers on This Forum, just a note to be cautious.

Hi.   I placed an add in the Wanted to Buy section of this forum looking to buy a kabuto.

I received a personal message from a member here stating he knew someone selling one and provided me with an email address.   Contacted the person who sent through some photos of a kabuto but no price.  I enquired and he quoted £2100.   What He didn’t know was that I knew if was on ebay and located in Japan.   Here is the ebay link.  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-Edo-Period-Kabuto-32-Ken-Suji-Helmet-Samurai-Armor-Maedate-Free-Ship-/384241427651?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

This person, via this forum, offered me a kabuto that seems wasn’t his to begin with at £500 more than the asking price on ebay.

So this is a reminder that unethical people lurk here.   The forum member who initiated the contact is not active with no posts, just lurking in wait for the unsuspecting.  Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

Over four years ago, Brian posted this warning https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/23462-do-not-respond-to-private-offers-of-swords-unless-you-know-the-person/

This of course applies to kabuto, & any high-value item.

I know warnings get posted on every sale page.  The scammer didn’t get me but there are inexperienced members here who may not be aware that they are lurking here, hence the warning, more current.

• Like 2

On one of the motorbike forums I'm on, you can't post or respond to wanted or for sale ads until you hit 10 posts (i.e. in the main section of the forum).  I think its the same board engine as this one, so might be a possible way of dissuading this sort of nasty behaviour?

Jon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..