1945 IKKANSAI KUNIMORI Japanese WW2 Army Sword

Corry

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

You're not going to get a lot of different response than Facebook what's already been told to you

The only person who was arguing with me was Chris Bowen.  That is not an answer. Assuming You've seen the post???

Cory i take that back. It must of escalated after I left I'll go try to find it.

Do NOT dismiss Chris B opinion. He's top authority on blades of that era. 

Id read the above link Mywei posted.

Is that everything you can learn about your sword is in that .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Cory i take that back. It must of escalated after I left I'll go try to find it.

Do NOT dismiss Chris B opinion. He's top authority on blades of that era. 

Id read the above link Mywei posted.

Is that everything you can learn about your sword is in that .

Doesn't mean he is right about everything!. There are plentry of 3rd reich "experts that are wrong the time. I see it LOTS.

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Your set on what you want to believe, far be it form me to try to change your mind.

Im out

Stephen, honestly, thanks for your thoughts on this. I am not saying you or even Chris are wrong. There just seems to be a lot of controversy about this. I mostly specialize in 3rd reich..about 1/3rd of my collection and am a subject matter expert on a few items and I get fooled once in a great while until I look REALLY closely. I have also seen this happen to other highly experienced collectors that have authored books on the subject. Another 1/3 of my collection is Imperial Japanese. I know a lot about NCO's etc, (but those are easy,fakes are getting better all the time tho..on a scary level) but am not anywhere near an expert on Gendaito.(thats why I am here I just am trying to figure it out?. Seems to have the correct features of gendaito, maybe I am wrong. I don't want to get burned, because this was not cheap. I also, don't want to screw over the seller if he is correct. I have provided him with a link to this discussion, in case he wants to defend his point of view. He has been in business for 10-15 years. I don't think he would still be around if he was unethical, but as stated, even experts miss things and make mistakes.

Best Regards,

Corry

8 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I know nothing about this Smith, but here is what Slough said:

CF6B4BCA-5591-4F7E-8FF4-E40D8689A05C.jpeg

5F2C1F20-3727-4256-A1D5-2F0C4D1AF615.jpeg

Thanks Bruce, I have always known you to be knowledgeable and a straight shooter. I don't comment much, but stalk the page a bit. :)

• Like 1

I do owe Chris Bowen an apology, even if It turns out to actually be a Gendaito. He spent the time to give me his thoughts and I was not a gentleman. I was a bit animated and over reacted on FB. I don't expect to be able to rejoin the page though. I wish him the best!

Best Regards,

Corry

• Like 4

Chris Bowen is not infallible.   I saw this post on FB.   His whole argument for Kunimori swords being Showato, comes from some very old articles and hearesay.    I do however think that like a lot of us, we were given a lot of mis-information in the old days.   Many myths and  erroneous information has now been found out and altered.  But here we are 2021 and there's those who still endorse these myths and erroneous mis-truths.

Ikkansai Kunimori, are Gendaito.   The have proper Jihada, they are water tempered and have a distict Nioguchi.   Also, they get papered.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Everyone knows Ikkansai Kunimori swords to be gendai.  Everyone who offers one for sale—all the names in the business state they are gendai.  

Here are even just a very few examples:

http://www.nihonto.us/IKANSAI KUNIMORI TACHI JP.htm

http://swordsworld.blogspot.com/2009/02/gendai-swordsmiths-papered-by-nbthk-or.html?m=1

https://japanesesword.com/archived-pages/2017/7/28/gendaito-bymiyaguchi-kunimori

—Matt

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..