Wakizashi attributed to an Akihiro(秋広作)?

10thRoyal

I just happened to stumble across a well mounted wakizashi that I know next to nothing about save for a surrender tag and was hoping someone hero might give me a bit more information about it. The tag's spelling of 秋広作 does not seem to match an Akihiro on nihontoclub.com's database so I was wondering if anyone else has heard of someone going by that name. The blade is unsigned as well. Is the tag even worth trusting?

PXL_20210911_190045743~2.jpg

PXL_20210911_190051362~2.jpg

PXL_20210911_190055986~2.jpg

PXL_20210911_190246649~2.jpg

PXL_20210911_190148981~2.jpg

• Like 2

Well the tag is just something for convenience and I think board opinion is no one knows until shinsa/papering process. And even then, with mumei blades the result won't be cut in stone (so it could paper with different results between organisations or even with the same one). It's a real Japanese antique so no matter what you did good:thumbsup:

Also swordsmiths tend to have the same names for multiple generations with differences in between.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rivkin said:

For some reason attributing Muromachi blades specifically to Akihiro was a common thing in Edo period. I had quite a few Honami attributions like that. Go figure. 

That's bizarre but not surprising. It makes sense that that would happen out of a sense of convenience or simply "that's how it's done". Even if it is probably a run of the mill Muromachi blade, it's still quite pretty with a beautiful tsuba. Well worth the $100 I paid for it.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably always a good idea to try to learn more. :) 

I really like this blade and the saya. If you decide to sell down-the-road, please let me know. 

I am just a new collector and find it interesting and appealing; I am not a reseller; or really know a heck of a lot about it. It just talks to me, warts and all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 2:26 AM, 10thRoyal said:

do y'all believe this blade warrants further research?

Research? No. Kantei? Sure, but this blade barely makes it as a collectible. To qualify for shinsa, the kissaki damage would have to be repaired, with a polish, & a new shirasaya - that really takes it out of the realm of cost-effectiveness. Enjoy it for what it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..