Sharing Few Photos of Cleaning Work on Fuchikashira and Menuki - Please Let me Know Your Thoughts

Krystian

Hello, 

Here are few photos of fuchikashira and menuki set before and after cleaning. This was done with mechanical cleaning, without damaging original patina. 

I highly value opinions off all board members so please let me know what are your thoughts and If possible what could still be improved. 

This is not my work, however craftsman who did this do not speak English so I post those pictures instead.

Regards, 

Krystian 

mnb1-4.jpg

mnb1-3.jpg

mnb-10.jpg

mnb1-1.jpg

mnb-7.jpg

mnb1-2.jpg

mnb-3.jpg

mnb-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 6

The key to a "good" restoration is that the final result does not look or show that the item, or any part of the item, has had restoration work done. As I look at these pieces, based upon these images, I would have to say that is not the case. In fact it may take as much time, if not more, and even a greater amount of effort to return a "natural look" to a cleaned up piece. Granted, it is something very difficult to do, not to detract from the effort here.

Thank you for your input Franco. If possible could you tell some examples on how to improve the restoration work? 

And could you say where exactly you can see the restoration work?

I am sorry for those addition questions but I want to be sure I fully understand you so I can learn from your comment. 

Hello Krystian,

I neither have the skill or knowledge to say how unfortunately. The only thing I can and will say is that some looks too clean, shiny if you will, while other parts don't look 'restored' quite enough. This contrast brings immediate unwanted attention from a discerning eye. 

2 hours ago, Krystian said:

And could you say where exactly you can see the restoration work?

I do believe Ford Hallam has posted images and videos of his work, even on this forum.  Perhaps someone will be good enough to post links. 

Thank you.

Thank you Franco for clarification. I understand what you meant and in general I fully agree. There is very difficult to judge the condition and based on that decide how far to go with cleaning. 

In this particular case it might also be a problem with my poor quality work with flash photography. In real life I do not see a problem that you mentioned. 

Here are few photos made with a phone. 

adddddddd-1.jpg

adddddddd-2.jpg

• Like 1

Darrel ...

At risk of quoting myself; 

4 hours ago, Franco D said:

Granted, it is something very difficult to do, not to detract from the effort here.

1 hour ago, Krystian said:

I understand what you meant and in general I fully agree. There is very difficult to judge the condition and based on that decide how far to go with cleaning. 

Yes, agree.

1 hour ago, Krystian said:

In this particular case it might also be a problem with my poor quality work with flash photography. In real life I do not see a problem that you mentioned. 

Looks that way. These additional images are very helpful and make a significant difference, thanks for posting them. 

On 9/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, Krystian said:

Thank you for your kind words. No gold was added. We were lucky that this set was not damaged, just kept in very bad conditions. 

;-) No Gold, only mechanical cleaning? Never ever :laughing:

The question is did he has it electro plated or firegilding with mercury.

Btw such green cooper had allway lost of patina and needs repatination. 

image.thumb.png.89d10f1fd4e3bbcab95025387b736c86.png

But how ever he done it its a nice work. Congratulation Krystian.

Chris, At first I was a  bit offended by your comment. However at the same time I realised that this is an amazing compliment. For a person such as yourself, with so much experience in the field to consider work off this quality to be impossible. While in fact it was achieved, is great compliment. 

At this point I have to add that this was done as a show of craftsmanship. It took around a week of work under microscope to do. So from economical point of view it does not have a lot of sense. It is much easier to remove oxidation and dirt together with patina and then just make new patina. 

Here are some photos of kashira made during cleaning. I hope that they prove that no gold was added. To add gold you need perfectly clean piece. On those pictures you can see different stages of oxidation being removed, with no spots missing gold. 

kashira-1.jpg

kashira-2.jpg

kashira-3.jpg

kashira-4.jpg

kashira-6.jpg

kashira-7.jpg

kashira-8.jpg

kashira-9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow. On the first picture you show i have bet that the gold is rubbed of because you see the copper. But on your last pictures there is the gold. I'm confused totaly. Good job Krystian.

That hobby is total crazy. You think you have seen a lot and then came another around the corner and destroys your knowledge totaly. :thumbsup:

Krystian if you think that i would offend you than take my pardon. I'm not the person who offend intentionally.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..