Downsizing my Japanese Arts Collection ( liquidating it to be more exact )

watsonmil

Gentlemen,

Some of the  " old timers "  on this forum will remember me. My Name is Ron Watson.  I am 74 now and since my son & grandson have no real interest nor money,  I wish my modest collection of Japanese Art Works to go to those who have a serious interest in preserving and studying the ARTS of the SAMURAI.  I will start off slowly with three items and we'll see how things progress.  I will try and add a items a week .  At that rate I should finish in about a year.   My entire collection is available and I do NOT plan on hanging on to but an item or two which I have promised as a keepsake to my son & grandson.   I did many articles for the NMB and I believe that most of these are Archived, ... so if you scan thru the articles and see an item I have not yet listed,  an email to 766watson@gmail.com will get a reply.

All sales will be FINAL and payment by International Money Order or Wire Transfer to my bank.   I must warn you however that given the WORLD"S confusion and being totally frustrated with SHIPPING RULES, ... I will only ship within the rules of CANADA to International Buyers.  I will not use CANADA POST as our Post Office is no longer reliable for anything which will cut and / or possibly fire a projectile ( even if ANTIQUE ).  For all other items I can use CANADA POST but will have to quote individual shipping costs for both Canadian and International BUYERS.  I believe Air Canada Cargo will handle or possibly Fedex but I am not sure of Fedex.   Anyway Buyer is responsible for shipping and shipping costs.

The First Item :    Katana Sword in newly custom made Saya with period Fittings ( Fuchi, Kashira and Menuki ) and Waterwheel Tsuba of nice iron.  The Fuchi Kashira with gold and silver on a Shakado base ( unsigned )  Tsuka is new and wrapped with good quality same and silk.

Katana is signed :  Yamashiro ( no ) Kuni Heianjo Ju ( Nobuyoshi )

Nagasa :  71.9 cm

Sword Shape :  Hon Zukuri

Jihada :  Ko Mokume

Hamon :  Choji Midaire

Era :   Late Muromachi ( 1490 - 1510 AD )

Period :  Sue Koto

Boshi :  Kaeri-Fukashi, with Mune-Yaki extending back over the mune for about 14cm.  

Sunagashi is prevelent, as is occassional line of Kinsuji

The Shinogi-ji has patches of hitasura spaced evenly along its entire length.

APPRAISED and papered by Kotoken Kajihara in 1984

Photographs may be seen by referring to an Article I did for the NMB by typing in the search box    " A Favorite Sword   Ron Watson "  This article is archived by NMB and was done in 2010.  For additional photographs please email me.

PRICE  $ 10,000.00 US FIRM

• Like 8

Hello Ron,

Sad that you are liquidating your collection, but I understand. No one for me to pass anything along to either, so my time will come as well.

I look forward to all your upcoming offerings, although only 1 or so offerings a week is going to be hard to wait on, but will give me a reason to log on!

Mark

Hi Ron,

I am new to this board, and have not posted much, but have been reading for quite some time to some gain basic knowledge on very complex material. I really enjoyed your story on the origins of the acquisition, rare to come across such examples of honesty. Wonderful job too on the restoration.

David

I think tomorrow,  too tired tonight,  I will put up my Tsuba Collection,   and possibly a Sword.   I thank those who have already made a purchase ( from my so far unlisted items ).    If there is something in Japanese Art or Weapons ( all antique ) that you collect just email me : 766watson@gmail.com 

I probably have at least one item of interest as I have been collecting for over 40 years and bought ONLY the best that I could / could not afford. so there are well over 100 individual items in my collection.

... Ron Watson

• Like 2

You're right Chris, but everyone has different interests and my family are no different - they don't "get" my collecting tastes.

Perhaps it's better for such collectables to go to people who will really appreciate them, rather than our families accepting them reluctantly and then not appreciating what they have.

• Like 4

Good Morning,

A Mr. @Fred Geyer emailed me this morning and although I used the email address given, ... my emails keep coming back UNDELIVERABLE.  If Mr. Geyer would like to email me again at :  766watson@gmail.com, ... I will try yet once again or we can find an alternate way of communicating.  My telephone number is :  1 - 431 - 807 - 5032

Dear NMB Members:

Due to the overwhelming number of Emails asking for photographs of,  or do I have this or that,  I MUST SADLY STATE I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAIL UNLESS IT IS FROM SOMEONE WHO I CORRESPONDED WITH IN THE LAST TWO DAYS.     I WILL BE LISTING ITEMS ON A WEEKLY BASIS ON THE NMB ( two or 3 items or a particular category of art  which could be as many as 10 pieces ).     I am sorry to take this step,  but the heavy load of Emails from people just wanting to be curious and NOT serious buyers is affecting my health.   I hope you will all understand.

Thank you to those who have made a purchase and I look forward to assisting and continued sales on my terms ( I think they are fair terms ).

... RON WATSON

• Like 1

Hi Ronald

I think your last post is very fair.

When I've sold some items I've had the same response and it looks a legitimate request for info but only a time waster who after a few emails showing interest suddenly stops all contact

Most sales work well with first come first served

To NMB Members,

I just finished packing this past weeks orders.  Worked most days until 1:00AM.  Between running to the PO for shipping quotes and receiving payments via MO,  PayPal,  and Wire Transfers,  answering Emails, ... it has been hectic.  I must thank those whom have made purchases and / or just emailed to say hello to an old enthusiast.  Among those who made a MAJOR PURCHASE was a Dr. James B. McNicholas from Virginia.  This gentleman was very professional in his dealings and I can recommend him wholeheartedly.

I must go to Winnipeg, MB to see my eye surgeon on Tuesday, 21 September.  I will return Wednesday afternoon and I promise to list a Sword and a grouping of Tanegashima Accessories PDQ.   The Nobuyoshi Sword is NO LONGER available as it is on hold pending payment.

Ron Watson

• Like 3

Dear Members,

Since Microsoft introduced CHROME,  ( which I did not want as it is not as good as Windows 10 ),  I must get my Computer Guru to come over and help me get started with LISTING ITEMS FOR SALE.   I had promised to get this done 2 days ago ( or more ),  but since he has come down with a VERY SERIOUS THROAT INFECTION ( I seen him today, and he is VERY ill ), ... I must beg your indulgence.  I will list a Sword and a grouping of Sagemono  ( pipe & tobacco cases ) as soon as possible.

Thank you, ... Ron Watson

• Like 1

@watsonmil, your web browser should still be installed on your PC (alongside Chrome). To start it, click on the Windows menu (bottom left of the screen) then when the menu pops up, type "edge", this will narrow the menu selection. At this stage, you should see the "Microsoft Edge" shortcut, just click on it and voila.

Dear Members,

I have now listed a very fine Wakizashi by a very rare swordsmith,  and I have also listed a collection of Sagemono ( tobacco pipe cases, incl. kiseru ).

For close up photographs of any set,  email me the item # ( serious buyers ONLY ), ... Email :   766watson@gmail.com

... Ron Watson

I'm happy to take Brian's suggestion and report back on my experience.
Bought this very interesting tsuba from Ron.
It is a very rare and early Uchigatana tsuba of the Muromachi period, and is in very good condition for its age.
Early pieces of this time are extremely rare and I am of course very excited.
The communication with Ron was very good and the shipping was very fast and professional.
Summa Summarum - I am very satisfied!
Thank you Ron!:)

Christian

Ron.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..