Seven Samurai

I will bet that most Nihonto enthusiasts have seen this film by Akira Kurosawa (1954 B&W, subtitled), but perhaps not all newcomers. It is just about my favorite movie and gives a lot in understanding the culture of Japanese society in the late Muromachi Period. I've just finished reading (again) my copy of Seven Samurai written by Joan Mellen published by BFI Film Classics. I think I may have gotten it thru Amazon five or so years ago . Anyways it is a very interesting commentary on Kurosawa, his film and viewpoint of Japanese society of the time. I highly recommend this enjoyable read.

Best Regards,

Mark

• Like 5

Hello Mark,

Thanks for showing us this book. 

I just found / bought one in "like New" condition for 15 dollars .  :thumbsup:

I did not think of a book of "commentary" for this samurai classic.

Had one copy there that was in "acceptable condition " for little over 8 dollars . 

There is so much to learn/gain in these commentaries.

On DVD Videos, THE CRITERION COLLECTION 's Seven Samurai ( and many other Kurosawa movies) has audio commentary, too... , and, are quite informative and is time well spent.

Amazing details can be learned.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting... 

Edited/Added on 9/10/21 -

Did you know, even though Akira Kurosawa had Toshio Mifune at TOHO Studios,

Akira Kurosawa  never made a  " Miyamoto Musashi " Movie.

It was Hiroshi Inagaki that made the movie ( Trilogy )  based on Eiji Yoshikawa's novel "Musashi".  Just a trivia about Kurosawa.

• Like 1

And a remake of it.

What movie did Clint Eastwood make as a spaghetti western wher he played town bosses against each other was that few $$ more? Made from Yojimbo.. It tells the story of a rōnin, portrayed by Toshiro Mifune, who arrives in a small town where competing crime lords vie for supremacy. The two bosses each try to hire the newcomer as a bodyguard.

Bruce Willis made one too set in the 30s

• Like 3

BTW 

Yojimbo is on HBO/MAX for the time being.

Last Man Standing (1996) A 1996 remake of Yojimbo starring Bruce Willis and Christopher Walken, and written and directed by Walter Hill. Last Man Standing moves the samurai story into a prohibition era town in Texas, where gangsters, bootleggers and prostitutes abound.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yojimbo is a good one. Pretty raw, but those were the times - living by your wits.

In the Samurai book I mentioned The Magnificent Seven and A Few Dollars More do get compared as poor "remakes" of Kurosawa's originals. IMHO it's an apples to oranges comparison if one considers the vast difference between Japan's Sengoku jidai and the American Wild West. All good viewing, with John Sturges evoking the idea that... "imitation is the best form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." Oscar Wilde. 

• Like 1

My top 5, "The Sword of Doom,"  "Tasogare Seibei,"  and "Shichinin no Samurai," "Ran," and...maybe a tie between "Koruri Ookami" and "Zatoichi" (in no particular order, and also obviously not all Kurosawa films, still great though)

I'm going to be on the look out for this book!

-Mario

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..