How does condition affect price? What is acceptable? What's a deal breaker? Photos?

Winchester

Thank you in advance. 

I hope this post not only helps me as a new collector but many others.

-What type of condition issues would be a deal breaker? (Please post photos as an example)

-Is there more leniency on condition if the blade is 1600s, 1500s, 1400s, et cetera?

-What is an example of structural damage or damage that could not be fixed? (Please share photos if possible)

-Obviously, better condition relates to higher price, but on the older blades, is some cosmetic issue expected (other then battle damage?)

Google nihonto fatal flaws..  The older the blade the more cosmetic issues you can kind of get away with but everything detracts from value age regardless. The older it is the less it detracts.. If there is a fatal flaw it is basically of little to no value to a collector.  There is also the idea of tired blades. Those that have been polished so many times that additional Polish will reveal further issues.

• Like 1

I'll do you one better:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html

Also, the older the blade, the more acceptable flaws are... even fatal in the case of extremely old or rare blades (such as sole exemplars). Ultimately, it is up to the buyer to decide what flaws are acceptable. Sometimes even extremely old blades make it through shinsa with flaws, but generally they are the exception, not the rule.

Here is an example that Ray has for sale:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

Here is an example that Ray has for sale:

Just want to add a quick clarification that the Kanemoto sold last year. As I added in a later post comment, the hamon was thin but intact everywhere except a bit of yakiotoshi just above the hamachi.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..