Shinto blade with very interesting inscription

gun addict

Here’s an interesting Gunto in late war mount I just acquired 

Mei: Cho shu ju fujiwara Moriyasu

Inlay: Meiji Boshin war, for leading troops in attacking the state of ??, I was awarded horse and this sword by my lord. For peace of the world, I name this sword the bright Maru, signed Lu Xiang(a Chinese courtesy name)

A573884A-E909-4C67-AD42-A74641E3B6FF.jpeg

AEF66B6A-B120-4BAD-984A-6BB4262D9DC3.jpeg

5A57DF71-EB04-4450-AD8C-204F1950D3DF.jpeg

8A49DF3C-D996-48CF-8C6D-8D17076E762E.jpeg

50B86B6C-8CE4-4235-8A9A-B5191B94B216.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Amazing item Tim!  Any chance of getting good pics of the fittings?  Also, is that a leather belt loop?

Bruce

here is the fittings, very late war and cheaply thrown together. Most likely a family blade donated or sold in the last stage of the war and put into a Gunto mount if you can call it such 

09D34DB1-9851-4916-9B0A-9475285F36B7.jpeg

10 hours ago, k morita said:

Hi,

R:
明治戊辰之役率兵戦于城州我公嘉其功

L:
賜此刀取會朝清明之義名曰曙丸  路郷誌

Nickname of this sword is "AKEBONO-MARU"  曙丸 . (AKEBONO  means  dawn/daybreak .)
Wrote by Michisato(?) 路郷誌 .

刀戊辰銘--jpg1500.jpg

That is wonderful work Sir! It’s especially helpful now that the city/state of Yamashiro could be identified thanks to your translation 

6 hours ago, gun addict said:

Most likely a family blade donated or sold in the last stage of the war and put into a Gunto mount if you can call it such 

Yes, that's what I was thinking.  The kabutogane and fuchi look civil, so likely re-fitted with the Army tsuba/seppa and leather covered saya.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 11:03 PM, k morita said:

會朝清明

I'm wondering about this bit here. I don't think this should be interpreted as a wish for world peace, but I can't figure it out. If I search for this phrase I get a reference to a certain Amano Kanzaemon (天野勘左衛門), who is the subject of an old legend, but I don't feel this is right.  

Maybe @k morita or @Nobodycan help with this bit? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..