Masakatsu and Norisuke tsuba

Caroline

Dear all,

Some of my client have tsuba in his collection. I have to mahe some research about them but unfortunatly I know nothing about this kind of object.

You will find here 2 pictures of those which are signed. Do you have some idea about the period or the author of this items ?

All informations you could have would be really usefull for me.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Caroline.

vaneerie 1.jpg

libellule 2.jpg

gravures Espace Japon.pdf

• Like 1

Welcome Caroline!

Your first Tsuba seems to be signed “小田原住正(勝)作”, (Odawara jū Masakatsu saku). Not sure about the second character of the smiths name (only the left radical is legible), so I’ve put it in brackets.

Will try the second one this evening, if nobody chimes in….

Hello,

For the second one, I think the translation that has been given to you 尾府住則亮 作 is correct. Ofu no Jû Norisuke

The state is not good.

You could post photos of the other tsuba. They could be interesting even if they aren't signed.

Dragonflies is Norisuke.

One of their popular designs. A few of these listed in the book sections about them- Nagoya NBTHK NOrisuke book, or the Owari "Blue" book.

I like shodai and nidai Norisuke works very much. It is a shame this one has been partially fired or otherwise very abused. Otherwise I would ask to buy it. For a memento of a friend lost a few years ago, I've wanted to pick up some sort of Tombo design work.

Working for the Tokugawa, the Norisuke work can vary from quick simple designs to very complex special commissions.

Example attached. One of our NY members also has some fine examples.

Norisuke Daisho.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..