Polishing just the Kissaki for the Boshi?

Hello forum/Guys..

1st. - I did not want to bother any Togishi with this question, because they are busy Polishing/working , and they must have many important e-mails / messages to reply/answer.

I was wondering...

If there is a blade that people might want a small section polished, ( Window ) to see " what the blade has/shows " 

What if , or can we,  ask  for the Kissaski is Polished, to see the Boshi 1st? 

I remember Steward Ueno. said , the Boshi can be unique, showing the Swordsmith's or School's traits..

If so, isn't that want the window was trying to do? 

1)  I don't know if it is a "cost" factor, as, many be a window is cheaper to do?

Or, any other reasons, like the finished Kissaski might get scratched if the rest of the Blade is "worked on/polished " later.

2)   Another thing is, if there is a window made, and the blade is not worth polishing:

Would the blade look odd with a polished section?

And, would it be more acceptable and still look O.K. if  just the Kissaki was polished and the rest of the Blade was not?

Here's the link to the video. The whole series is time well spent. :thumbs:

"Beauty of the Blade" - Episode  2

6:40 timeline into the Video:

• Like 1

Hello Alton,

1. Yes, you can ask the togishi if they will polish just the boshi. But, bear in mind it may be hard to find one who will be interested in doing a small job. With the backlog that most US-based togishi are facing, I think they may not be keen on taking on a job like this. Fortunately, it doesn't cost anything to ask them. If the blade has the promise of being something really unique and prestigious, you might have some luck. 

2. I haven't heard of a window being especially vulnerable to damage when the rest of the blade is polished. 

3. With regard to how funky the blade will look with just a window opened on it, that is something you'll have to imagine for yourself. Usually the window would help you determine if the blade is worth investing in a full polish (and, papering to hozon and higher). If the window reveals the blade isn't worth any further action, the looks of the thing are kind of irrelevant. I can understand the wish to keep it presentable even if its not "worthy" of hozon, but really, there are so many swords out there you would be wasting time and energy worrying about the presentability of a low quality sword. 

• Thanks 2

Thank you for posting Steve. :)

You're such a helpful guy.. :thumbsup:

Guys, 

I can "see" the dilemmas  when looking to obtain/renewal an old blade.

The risk maybe costly, rewards may be wonderful. 

I was thinking, it might be better to just buy  a Blade that's polished, in a shirasaya and has Origaml.

Since I'm here.. :) Polishing Trivia

I was reading

"THE ART OF Japanese SWORD POLISHING" ( Taikaiwa,Yoshihara, Kapp)

Chapter 4 - History of Polishing -

Had this.... 

Blades excavated in the 6th century and 7oo's had some preserved sections that has a polish similar to the Nagura stone,

which was said to often " bring out most of the details of the Hamon".

Thanks for viewing..

Alton :)

• Thanks 1

Of coarse the kissaki can polished to the point that all features are visible during an madoake. That does not mean that the whole  narume  procedure is done. After uchigumori the hamon should be clearly visible, the narume is only for whitening.

Here is an example why it is an good idea to  open a window. Part  of the  blade is healthy, the rest is nearly dead. Will be the madoake damaged during the  polishing process of the wohle blade. Well, the foundation is there, only the finish will be done again in order to blend with the rest of the balde.

Nagamaki.thumb.JPG.2d68a03166bb3a9440f44c0ccbe9ed55.JPG

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..