Uchigatana Koshirae Momoyama period

Willowyck

I've been in this forum for several years now and I have seen a lot of interesting and great Tosogu. However, I can't remember ever seen old Koshirae here. All of them were from the Edo period or later. For this reason I would like to show you a Uchigatana Koshirae from the Momoyama period.

A koshirae for a single handed sword that would have been used by a warrior on horseback as an auxiliary weapon to a tachi. Examples of these are very rare and sought after. The tsuka has a very nice hourglass form and is rather thin with black lacquer same wrapped in asa cords. The matching fuchi kashira are in a light shakudo, possibly shibuichi which matches the material of the tsuba. The ko kinko shishi menuki show good form with good patina. The tsuba is punched with star designs on the surface which still retain quite a bit of black lacquer from the fighting days. The kurikata of the saya still has its Momoyama period fittings which are carved from one piece rather than being a central piece with seppa. This style is known on high quality pieces during the sengoku period. In all a very rare and high quality piece. There are some flea bites to the saya lacquer and there are some minor spots of old urushi repair that are not noticeable and actually add to the beauty of this very well matched and restrained samurai piece.

Kindest regards

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_2885_31211.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2868_31213.JPG

IMG_2870_31207.JPG

• Like 5

Don't get me wrong......does this koshirae have got papers ?

If , yes did the paper say it is a momoyama period pice ?

If , not..........

What make you think that this is a orginal from the momoyama period and not a koshirae in the "style " of the momoyama period?

It was not so rare that in Shinto and Shin-Shinto times "old-style" koshira were made.

• Like 1

To me, it has the feeling of being as described. Of course that's just an opinion, but it's a lovely set and typical of what was actually used, and not put together for collectors.
I can see why you like it so much, and I'm glad you shared it. Thanks Thomas.

• Like 1

Hello Dieter,
no, the Koshirae has no papers but that is not so important to me and especially not necessarily meaningful. Providience is much more important to me. The Koshirae comes from the collection of Andrew Mancabelli. I bought this Koshirae from him just before the Yamabushi antiques website was closed. He was and is one of the few who offer antique Koshirae at all. You can check out some koshirae from him at "Kokusai Tosogu Kai - 7th International Convention & Exhibition 2011". Two of them were also offered on the webside "Yamabushi antiques" at the same time as the one I have shown here. Or check out who Andrew Mancabelli is.

Kindest regards

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..