Looking for information on this sword/swordsmith

This Katana was dug up in the garden by my Grandfather in 1984. My Grandmother transliterated the inscription and sent it to the British Museum, who responded with the following (+ attached) response.

"
Your excellent transliteration of the inscription on the sword reads 'Showa ju shichi nen roku gatsu'
( June in the 17th year of the Showa ero - or 1942 ) and 'Seki-ju Kanetomo saku' ( made by Kanetomo in the village Seki ).

This smith is recorded by Dr Homma as having been appointed a special maker for the army at the age of 28 in 1943.

I would expect it to be hand forged in the traditional manner.

Yours sincerely,

Victor Harris
Research Assistant
"

I would like to know more about the sword, confirm it's type/model, and to know more about the swordsmith.

I believe the sword is the Type 98 here -- http://ohmura-study.net/934.html

Many thanks in advance!

IMG-20180906-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20180906-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180906-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20180906-WA0001.jpg

D,

That's quite a story!  Any idea who buried it?

Seki Kanemoto is listed as an RJT qualified smith, so there is a chance this blade was made the traditional way.  Any chance of finding a star stamp above the smiths' name, possibly around the hole?  Any other stamps visible around the top of the tang, even on the back edge of it?

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..