Type 98 with Arsenal stamp?

Kolekt-To

This Gunto is up for sale on Gun Broker and I'm confused about it. The blade has a fuller (as seen on Type 95's, and on many older blades) and has a tang with a Kokura arsenal mark (I say mark instead of stamp, because it looks to have been chiseled into the tang). I'm still new to the hobby and this is the first time I have come across one like this. Is this a Type 95 Kokura arsenal blade in Type 98 mounts? Did the arsenals produce some blades to be mounted in Type 98 koshirae? What are we looking at here?

Type 98_Fullered blade with Kokura arsenal mark.jpg

Type 98 Tang_Kokura arsenal mark.jpg

6 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Lately I have seen a few of those priced very high, as much as I like them I don't think they are worth over 2000usd unless in perfect condition with original tassel. 

+1! Even in perfect condition with the original tassel,2K is on the high side in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just so I’m understanding this correctly and I did read the Ohmura link their is such an officers Shin Gunto with what looks like a 95 blade? I was looking at one at a gun show in Tulsa Okla. (the Wannamacher Gun Show, always a lot of swords there) that a collector had for sale, it was a 98, but had what appeared to me as a 95 NCO blade but no serial number. He told me it was a late war budget shin Gunto for someone that couldn’t afford a hand forged blade. I having never seen or heard of such a thing let it walk. If there is such a thing I’ll know for next time as I don’t have that variant! 

Trystan! Can I assume you have a nice NCO collection? I like the officer swords but my thoughts have always been that the NCO swords saw the most practical use just due to the job of the NCO! This is coming from a retired Infantry Officer. 
Chris Wilson

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisAWilson said:

If there is such a thing I

There is such a thing, and if you have been discussed here on the forum. In the pictures it can be a little difficult to distinguish between the two.  The zoheito tend to have a bit more curve in the blade and shorter nakago. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..