Owari or Akasaka?

cdrcm12

Hi,

A recent addition, I'm unsure if Owari or Akasaka but I'm drawn to Owari. It has nakabiku from the mimi to the seppa dai.

The sukashi elements look more Owari. I understand the karigane and geese in flight but not sure what the other four sukashi elements are?

Dimensions:

Height: 65mm

Width: 63.5mm

Mimi thk: 5.4mm

Seppa dai thk: 4.85mm

Welcome any thoughts please.

1882577661_Owari1.thumb.jpg.72d725a98fb2bdfdeff006efb77db8a0.jpg

672726040_Owari2.thumb.jpg.f04d810bf0cbbd4d757def4a183ab011.jpg

347720969_Owari3.thumb.jpg.7f9b0d650b3db1c1a5b2c2b6f6fb9b8b.jpg

914609971_Owari4.thumb.jpg.b11c2552620b8f60a140702a0f323f56.jpg

Sorry I am late to this thread, but I wish to add my Owari vote. The maru mimi is a head scratcher but Owari (kanayama) will have such niku sometimes that it can appear almost a maru cross section. From your image it is a little hard to tell.

Akasaka, even later ones, will reliably have nakadaka (higher in the center) but yours is dished boasting a thicker mimi. 

Kodai Akasaka were made small, but even then they were generally 7,0-7,3 cm where Owari (Kanayama, because yours reminds me of that particular production center) were smaller.

And finally, most Akasaka makers had some version of yose tagane markings much different than yours. In fact, I rather associate those tagane marks in yours with Kanayama, because of those I own that is their look. Won't typically see those in Akasaka. My 2cents

I have attached an image of a small Kanayama tsuba displaying those typical tagane marks.

Best Regards,

Kanayama_Ura.jpg

• Like 2

I can't help but notice the 'decorative' nature of the hitsu-ana on all the present examples - I was almost tempted to say Colin and Mark's pieces look like Buddhist Stupa outlines, also noticed that many guards described as Owari have the same shape of hitsu on both sides [though as usual not all] - wouldn't it be easy if there were rigid rules - but not as interesting :laughing:

1 hour ago, Japan2112 said:

Sorry I am late to this thread, but I wish to add my Owari vote. The maru mimi is a head scratcher but Owari (kanayama) will have such niku sometimes that it can appear almost a maru cross section. From your image it is a little hard to tell.

Akasaka, even later ones, will reliably have nakadaka (higher in the center) but yours is dished boasting a thicker mimi. 

Kodai Akasaka were made small, but even then they were generally 7,0-7,3 cm where Owari (Kanayama, because yours reminds me of that particular production center) were smaller.

And finally, most Akasaka makers had some version of yose tagane markings much different than yours. In fact, I rather associate those tagane marks in yours with Kanayama, because of those I own that is their look. Won't typically see those in Akasaka. My 2cents

I have attached an image of a small Kanayama tsuba displaying those typical tagane marks.

Best Regards,

Kanayama_Ura.jpg

This. The OP's guard has a lot of meat to the rim but I'm still noticing a bevel and it seems like kaku mimi koniku as a whole vs a true maru. 

Later period (early-mid Edo) Owari IMO.

4 hours ago, Curran said:

Textbook nice example. Good photograph too.

iphone with photoshopped background.

Regarding the motif observations, Owari (but mostly Kanayama) will have that North/South and East/West presentation of complimentary objects- geese with fudo, gourds with ginkyo, temple bells with pine...

The tsuba Colin presented has those suhama shapes (its name alludes me today) typically seen in Owari and, of course, the geese. Mine I think are fern bracken with hats.  Both have tall seppa dai seen more in Kanayama than the general Owari.

Hello Colin T.,

Been very busy with important life things... but felt compelled to reply as I like your tsuba and these type of tsuba. I would generally agree with the member consensus here that the tsuba is like the work of the Owari group. I would add that the tsuba is likely very a very late in the groups production circa the Middle Edo Period. I will add the caveat that I cannot examining the tsuba in hand and getting a real fee for the iron which is very important for this type of attribution. The workmanship nor the openwork design itself I feel is characteristic of the unsigned Akasaka School work. I hope you find this information helpful it grows your interest and appreciation for these type of Japanese sword fittings.      

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..