Pawnstars Katana

This video just happened to pop up as a suggestion to watch. I felt compelled to see a "rare 1 million dollar katana". At first glance of the cover picture, I was already thinking that the fittings looked like junk, but was hoping to be surprised when watching the video. It took me to the 14 second mark to know this sword was junk. Gotta give props to Mike Yamasaki for being kind to the gentlemen. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It looked suspicious even before Mike gave his final verdict, as you say. Mike said reproductions like this came out of China 15 years ago. Not that I would buy one but I wonder if the newer ones are better quality; enough to fool at least a Nihonto neophyte like me.

1 hour ago, Sansei said:

It looked suspicious even before Mike gave his final verdict, as you say. Mike said reproductions like this came out of China 15 years ago. Not that I would buy one but I wonder if the newer ones are better quality; enough to fool at least a Nihonto neophyte like me.

Would you believe this is Chinese?

Hamon 1.jpg

Hamon 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I don't agree. All that did was tell people out there that repros like that are: a) Not so bad, and are close to real ones, it takes an expert to see that, and b) that it's fine to buy and own repros like this...they aren't junk and are worth owning.
Nah. He had to do that for the show. Personally, I think people need to be discouraged and to be made to feel like they need to educate themselves.
This pc soft attitude does zero for the hobby or for the owners. And is the reason the Chinese sell thousands.
Blunt and to the point. Without being rude. If he can't take it, then this hobby isn't for him.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2021 at 11:36 AM, DTM72 said:

Hamon 1.jpg

Hamon 3.jpg

If this is a more recent sword, and you are saying that you can determine just from these photos whether or not this is a Chinese reproduction, then MY eyes and knowledge are no where near your level. :-)

9 hours ago, Brian said:

I don't agree. All that did was tell people out there that repros like that are: a) Not so bad, and are close to real ones, it takes an expert to see that, and b) that it's fine to buy and own repros like this...they aren't junk and are worth owning.
Nah. He had to do that for the show. Personally, I think people need to be discouraged and to be made to feel like they need to educate themselves.
This pc soft attitude does zero for the hobby or for the owners. And is the reason the Chinese sell thousands.
Blunt and to the point. Without being rude. If he can't take it, then this hobby isn't for him.

Brian, you are getting at something important, I think. One of my gripes is the lowering of standards in education (testing and grading for example) that I believe promotes incompetence. Education has become too "touchy, feely" imo, where no student fails. On this forum, I appreciate it more when advice is given bluntly and honestly - then, one knows where improvement is needed. An honest "F" sends a clear message; whereas a phony "B" does not.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 2:36 PM, DTM72 said:

Hamon 1.jpg

Hamon 3.jpg

I've only seen a few and it does look Chinese to me.  Hada seems unorganized hamon as well, looks like some hada peeking through the hamon. The shape is one of the biggest signs of a fake Nihonto the geometry is always out of whack.

• Like 1

I think Brian is spot on that Mike couldve told him straight away bluntly (and respectfully ) but he drew it out for the show. 

Had to laugh when the owner said the shop had a couple but nothing like his.

Thes definitely some nice swords beinv made in China but not as nice as Nihonto and this sword isnt close to nice in any way.

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..