of Tsubas and Japanese blades

hello,
what is the rule of the thumb in regards to tsuba sizes and Nihonto length? even as a beginner, i'm pretty sure there has a to be a standard since it won't look aesthetic if the tsuba that is being paired up with the blade is smaller or larger. for instance, what size tsuba would go nice with a 19" nagasa wakizashi?

Does not the weight of the Tsuba balance out the entire blade? Thus a larger heavier Tsuba for a longer heavier blade, and then vise versa for a shorter/lighter blade.

Did that ever come into play in days of old?

Curious monkeys would like to know.

Mark

Weight and balance were not really a factor since the end of the Muromachi period. Occasionally you'll find massive iron tsuba for Nanbokucho slashers. Sturdy and relatively thin was the goal back in the days, for added protection. You'll also find rawhide tsubas that have been lacquered for waterproofing. These were made and used with functionality in mind. In Higo you'll find remnant of this function-first philosophy.  

Hi Christian, :)

Hello all...

I  watched Akira Kurasawas's Biography, and, the Seven Samurai  with commentary , and, The Technical Advisor for the Seven Samurai was Muniyuki Myochin , the  51st  for the Myochin Family. :)

But,  as you say, since it is a fictional.  :)

• Like 1

Marc is correct that the tsuba balances the blade. As a long-time sword swinger, I was astonished at how different a sword feels, in hand, with two different tsuba, & just a few ounces weight difference.

If a blade was going to be used in combat, I'll bet that several tsuba were tried out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..