Jinja Shinji invitation

I was going to post this in Edo Period Corner Part II, but a message popped up saying the topic is old, so would I consider starting a new thread, unless it was particularly relevant. My fault I guess for not refreshing it.

Yesterday the news arrived that all further regional live appearances in 2021 have been cancelled for our matchlock troop. 

"Even the annual purification event at Kibitsu Hiko Jinja?" I asked. (See last autumn's posts and videos.)

"Yes, that too, everything!" came the answer. "Anything that draws crowds is out, under the extended state of emergency."

"Ah" I replied sadly, thinking of the heap of armour where I last took it off back in April, still needing an excuse for sorting out and hanging up.

Today, however, the message came through that Kibitsu Hiko Jinja now require our presence in their Autumn 神事 'Shinji' Shrine Dedication Ceremony, which will be going ahead, together I guess with the Tameshigiri and Yabusame peformances. If it is the same as last year, it will be a private shrine service for small numbers with no crowds. About half the day is taken up with blessings and prayers at various portable altars set up here and there.

Anyway, this will be an excuse to air the armour in preparation, and to clean and prime the guns. I know those invited will be thinking of which helmet, which maedate, which cuirass, which sword or tanto etc., to wear for the occasion.

Compilation from last year taken from the shrine's home page. https://www.kibitsuhiko.or.jp/event.html

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 4:32 PM, Shugyosha said:

I'd go gold. I think they will stand out amidst the gun smoke better and increase your chances of your daimyo rewarding you with a larger feoff. :thumbsup:

Stand out. Check. :P

Reward. Check. :P

Larger feoff. Check. :P

Now we’re getting the hang of things! :ph34r:

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, things did not quite go according to plan, but even as a no-spectator non-advertised event it was a good result in the blustery autumn weather.

Strangely, I was lying back with my *hygienist this morning, (Monday) when she suddenly asked, “Were you at the shrine with the Teppotai yesterday? I just happened to be there so I stayed to watch. Sadly I could not tell you all apart.”

There were perhaps 15 or 20 people dotted around way off behind the lines of the taped-off area. She must have been there among them, out of the blue. What a coincidence!

*at the dentist

1. Blessings upon us from the priests.

2. Four gunners stepped forward to fire 10-Monmé Shizutsu or Samurai guns.

3. Three stepped forward to fire 30-Monmé Ōzutsu hand cannons.

4. One stepped forward and kneeled to fire the 50-Monmé Sendai Ōzutsu hand cannon. (That was me, attempting the kneeling shot for the first time.)

5. Mr Koiké stepped forward to fire the big 100-Monmé, repatriated from Ireland in 2020.

Tremendous BANG!

Clapping heard from a distance.

6. We stayed to watch Mr Kanzaki’s Tameshigiri group, including his son and young grandson continuing the tradition. Wonderful.

7. Group photograph.

• Like 3

From the local area newspaper.

https://www.sanyonews.jp/article/176547

In Japanese. An interesting article (with photos) explaining the background to the shrine and the historical connections with the Ikeda Daimyo. 

The caption to the gunnery shot says: 同神社と由縁の深い池田家の家紋旗と共に演武を披露する備州岡山城鉄砲隊 or 'Bishu Okayama Castle matchlock company firing under their banners carrying the Kamon of the Ikeda lords which evoke deep connections with this shrine.'

Further in the accompanying text it says, '10月の秋季大祭では「流鏑馬神事」が風や水の災いを防ぐ祈願を込めて行われ、靏島、亀島の方角に矢が射られる。また、同神社とご神縁深い備州岡山城鉄砲隊による、岡山の除災招福を祈願した砲術神事も圧巻。このように、年間を通じて桃太郎伝説や武道を始めとする岡山の歴史・文化にまつわる神事が多いことも同神社の特徴である。Roughly... 'During October's autumn festival the Yabusame is run, the prayers affording protection against the winds and the rains, their arrows being fired towards Tsuru Island and Turtle Island (in the lake). In addition, we have the spectacle of the gunnery display by Okayama Castle Matchlock Company, with deep spiritual ties to this shrine, driving off disasters and bringing happiness. With the legend of Momotaro, and displays of martial arts, etc., in such ways throughout the year our shrine performs unique rituals related to the culture and history of Okayama.'10月の秋季大祭では

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..