First pattern extremely rare Kyu Gunto

Volker62

Hi Guys

can someone give me more informatiom about this extremely rare Kyu Gunto Koshirae??

I only saw two of them..! in 32 years, Richard Fuller informed me, this is the first pattern Kyu Gunto, manufactured  according European Models.

My one is fitted with a beautiful TBH "Omi no kami fujiwara Tsuguhira shodai" Katana,with Ubu-ha, healthy well  preserved old family treasure

No metal seppa, leather made ones....

20210605_081429.jpg

20200616_191603.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I checked my Dawson book, and I see why Hamish called it a transition between the Type 9 and 19.  The plain backstrap is of the Type 8 Company grade kyu, but it had a solid handguard.  The open floral design came in the 1886 revision which also added the sakura to the backstrap.  I've attached pics from Dawson, including his description of the black German styled knot authorized in 1912.

image1(2).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0(3).jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, definitely a beautiful sword Volker. I also find these swords quite interesting as their lack of decoration on the back strap as well as a removable sakura blossum menuki/mekugi. The back strap and D guard in the photo below is quite plain without decoration yet exhibits a simple elegance... 

Dave M.

1979860684_20210821_135031(12)_LI.thumb.jpg.82134ae315c129029cca71c2e9a34050.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..