When is the next Juyo Shinsa for fittings?

Chishiki

Lol. Yes, I knew it was posted there.

Still doesn't change the fact that I have not applied to Juyo shinsa before, not in 20+ years. Maybe I will, but the % pass rate standard for Juyo Tosogu is a higher hurdle than for Juyo Token.

Long odds.

I don't particularly believe everything on their site, it being the internet and all.

I believe I was caught by a previous shinsa price increase -not updated on their site-, though that must have been years ago.

Postage and other fees that agents pay can be wild cards adding on. Last time around, 12 items to Japan and back = postage was 29% of the bill.

This is just for _Not_Quite_Juyo_ stuff.   It just came back yesterday.

If sending things people think worth a roll of the dice for Juyo, then expect a stiff travel expense these days.

1 hour ago, Gakusee said:

Come on guys, for people seriously interested in the hobby you should know this website by heart :

https://www.touken.or.jp/english/aboutus.html

Shinsa prices are there 

There is a member price and non member which is not listed on their site as far as I can see.  Maybe step back from being condescending.   I see they say there is a 2000¥ charge for non members, I’m not sure that is correct.   I guess I’ll find out.

I attached a copy of their fees as listed for hozon and TH.   Also an invoice I just received where one pair of menuki received hozon and the other TH.   Different.  I assume juyo rates may also be different from their website.

B42DEF1F-674E-4EF4-91FF-98A881ACC1E1.png

277AD276-0556-46C5-BC15-510E83852F12.jpeg

i thought you had to be a member to submit for Juyo???  I am more familiar  with swords than fittings but maybe applies to both?

Here is Bob Benson's info https://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/nbthk-shinsa-submission.html

NBTHK Shinsa Fees:

See NBTHK's shinsa fees  at http://www.touken.or.jp/english/shinsa_fees.html

- If you are a member we will need your NBTHK membership number. 
       - If non-member the NBTHK charges 2,000 yen extra on each item submitted to shinsa for Hozon and Tokubetsu Hozon. (        i.e: If your piece passes  both Hozon and T. Hozon you will be charged an additional 4,000 yen on top of their shinsa fees.) 

-For a  Juyo Token shinsa submission you will have to become a  NBTHK member. 

-You can join the American Branch of  the NBTHK at www.nbthk-ab.org

• Thanks 1

OK, apologies for hurting your feelings, Chishiki Mark, but I am somewhat weary of many people not making an effort on this forum, constantly requesting to be spoon-fed and preferring someone else to do the work for them. 

Be that as it may, as I have a bit of free time, please refer to the Japanese-language version of the same website https://www.touken.or.jp/shinsa/fee.html and right-click and press translate (depending on your browser). This is what I have done, so the translation is linguistically imperfect but semantically clear. 

You are right, together with Curran, that the NBTHK Honbu often forgets about us gaijin, rarely updates the English info and also does not include in English nearly half of the otherwise available info that they have in Japanese.

Disappointing it is indeed, and for those who assume that all info will be spoon-fed to us foreigners in English well, unfortunately it is not the case. It is not the case with some high-end dealer websites (with some exceptions), it is not the case with the NBTHK - just the basic info is served, it is not the case with the rest of Japan (we are more of an afterthought :), but do not take it personally.)

For some reason the headings in the table did not copy across properly - in the table below, the left fee is for members and the right - for non-members. You will see that the fees correspond to your tosogu charges and also I confirm that for one of my items, which got TH in July, I was charged the fee from this table as well. 

'Save' herein below means 'preservation', denoted by 'hozon', and 'important' is the translation of 'juyo'. Again, these are Google Translate defaults. 

Examination fee

■ The examination fee varies depending on the examination result.
■ The examination fee will be stated in the result notification sent after the examination.
■ If the examination result is "pending", the examination fee is free.

All examination fees include tax.

Preservation / special preservation examination

For save-only application

Examination outcome Membership fee Non-membership fee
Pass Sword / sword fittings  \ 25,000 ¥ 27,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 17,000 ¥ 19,000
failure Sword / sword fittings  ¥ 10,000 ¥ 12,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 7,000 ¥ 9,000

When applying for special preservation only (I already have a preservation certificate)

Pass Sword / sword fittings  \ 35,000 ¥ 37,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 30,000 ¥ 32,000
failure Sword / sword fittings  ¥ 10,000 ¥ 12,000

When applying for preservation / special preservation at the same time

Save: Fail Sword / sword fittings  \ 10,000 ¥ 12,000
Save: Pass
Special save: Current status
Sword / sword fittings  ¥ 35,000 ¥ 39,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 24,000 ¥ 28,000
Save: Pass
Special Save: Pass
Sword / sword fittings  ¥ 55,000 ¥ 59,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 44,000 ¥ 48,000

* If you pass the preservation examination, the examination fee is the total of the preservation (pass) and special preservation examination fees.
* If you pass both preservation and special preservation, you will get a discounted rate only if you apply at the same time.
 (Discount amount: sword / sword fittings \ 5,000, sword fittings \ 3,000)

Examination of important swords, etc.

Pass Sword / sword fittings \ 220,000 \ 240,000
Sword fittings  \ 120,000 \ 140,000
Current status Sword / sword fittings ¥ 21,000 ¥ 41,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 15,000  ¥ 35,000

Examination of specially important swords, etc.

Pass Sword / sword fittings  \ 340,000 \ 360,000
Sword fittings  \ 240,000 \ 260,000 
Current status Sword / sword fittings  ¥ 31,000 ¥ 51,000
Sword fittings  ¥ 21,000 ¥ 41,000 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..