Sayagaki and NBTHK Juyo papper

Caracal

Hello Everyone,

I need help interpreting a sayagaki by Kanzan Sato, as well as a juyo paper by NBTHK.

My question is when did (date) Kanzan sato wrote this Sayagaki and when (date) was this juyo paper issued.

Katana in Shirasaya (? NBTHK Juyo Token)

Thank you very much in advance.

// Robert

79498471_KanzanSato.jpg.7da463b7078766e6583d44fca42aada0.jpg  865277642_Namnlos.thumb.jpg.4a0f7d364021985cb1d33e58ecffabd4.jpg

IMG_0495.thumb.jpeg.77a84d79842ecbfb4fb9b8cb636e1785.jpeg 

Edited by Caracal
Jujo for Juyo

The Juyo paper usually has two places where you can see the year. One is the perforated number in the upper part of the paper (where you can see something starting with 16 and then the actual year starting 200…).

The other place is the Japanese text (third column from left) starting with 平成 and followed by the number 16 (16th year of the Heisei era, which started in 1989). The equation for years is: starting Japanese year of Japanese era+ number of the year - 1 = Christian nomenclature. So 1989+16-1= 2004. 

More specifically, the certificate says 15th day of tenth month, so 15 Oct that year. 

• Like 2

Robert, for a small fee Markus Sesko offers a full translation service for NBHTK certificates which comes to you as a PDF file that you can print and keep along with the certificate. This way you will not have to search for this thread in years and puzzle back the individual portions. Especially since we are talking on a Juyo blade I think it should be worth it. I'm sure he'd do the sayagaki as well.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..