What is this gigantic thing that resembles a Tsuba?

lotus

I picked this up mostly as a curiosity and I also like the design. I know it is in rather poor shape. That aside, it is an astounding 8.5 inches (21.59 CM) round. About a half inch thick and is over 7.5 pounds! I believe it is made of iron since it is magnetic and it has an bronze-like (brass) patina? It is signed on both sides Bushu Ju Masanobu.

So many questions :

1. Was this made to sell on the docks for westerners?
  2. Was this a presentation tsuba given as a gift to someone of status?
  3. I don't think this thing is cast but I wanted to ask anyways?
  4. Who made it? The real Masanobu? Gimei?
  5. Do I clean this thing like I would my regular old iron Tsubas? 

bushu.jpg

Yes, it is magnetic. I don't see any signs of cast lines but the iron shows some porousness, but couldn't that be due to corrosion? Seems crazy to make such a huge and heavy cast Tsuba. If it is cast, the mei looks to be chiseled on after.

Patrick,
I think I am confident enough to say it IS cast.
Just looked again, and there are some very obvious signs. Firstly the "plugs" are not plugs. They are in one piece with the tsuba.
The nakago ana has fake kuchibeni/sekigane that are cast with the tsuba. I think this is some symbolic decorative item and not meant as a tsuba.
As has been stated before, casting can be done to even copy fingerprints. Fine details like mei are not a problem anymore.

• Like 2

Yes, I completely agree it is a decorative item and not a Tsuba. As for it being cast, I am still on the fence. Let us assume such huge cast decorative items were made. Where are the others? I have looked quite extensively and can not locate a single one even close to this one's size and crazy weight. Could the reason we can not find one be that it is, indeed, not cast? 

I could take some more closer up pics that might shed more light on the question. Though I really don't mind if it indeed turns out to be cast!

Hi Patrick,

Yes, they are called heat pads or trivets (nabeshiki in Japanese).  If you look at the attached video of a modern casting facility in Japan, I think you will see your exact "large tsuba" for a few seconds on the shelf in the lower righthand corner at 2:11 - 2:14.

https://youtu.be/a2SzEui5VVY 

• Like 2

There are also some huge wall hanger decoration 'tsuba'. I have turned mine into a garden ornament. It is over 30cm tall, also a wall plaque 10 cm 

I believe these large 'wall hanger' tsuba are made as home decoration for certain festivals or celebrations, I have seen plain 'iron' [steel] and also copper or gilding over iron versions. 

garden ornament small.jpg

wall plaque small.jpg

iron trvet.jpg

Dale -

The other side is similar and also signed, some slight differences based on the design. Attaching a couple close views of it. I figure if its cast iron, I could probably clean it up as if it was a cast iron skillet! I assume anyway...

IMG_4486close1.jpg

IMG_4494close2.jpg

I don't think your example is like the usual wall hanger type, it seems much too detailed. I think even though it's cast it was made for some as yet unknown purpose with carved details to finish it off.  I don't know what you paid but it certainly is a talking piece. 

Might be like an advertising prop? 

Or it may have been a spare part for this monster?

https://www.ancient-origins.net/artifacts-ancient-technology/norimitsu-odachi-who-could-have-possibly-wielded-enormous-15th-century-021428

The Norimitsu Odachi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..