Saya hanger terminology - clarification needed

Kolekt-To

This should be an easy one for the experienced collector - I would like some clarification for terms used to describe the hanger piece of gunto sayas. I will list the terms and I'd appreciate it if you guys would comment and specifically define these terms. I'm a bit confused, currently. Here are the terms:

Ashi = ?

Haikan = ?

Obi-tori = ?

From my readings thus far, it almost seems like these terms were used interchangeably in reference to the saya hanger(s).

From my reading, it seems that ashi was the original one used on civil swords before the westernization of gunto.  Once the modern army created the "gunto" and had regulations for terms and equipment, they came up with the "haikan" term.  So ashi is a civil term and haikan is a military term.

• Like 1

Don't quote me, but I believe Obi-tori as the leather loops from belts used on tachi mounts. Don't believe it has anything to do with the suspension ring.

Either way, I use the term Ashi because it's the first thing that comes to mind. If you don't feel confident, just call them suspension rings. Nobody here will judge you.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..