Wakizashi Documentation

AirDog01

Hi All!

I picked up a Wakizashi this week - a local family is struggling to cover medical expenses after a cancer diagnosis and are liquidating pretty much everything.  I purchased the piece without any due diligence mostly as a favor but also because it’s interesting the the family needs the help.   

Personally, this is my second sword and I feel as if I’m getting in deep and running blind.  I will be slowing down and taking more time to read before any more purchases.  Although my wife is still supportive of this new interest I don’t want to push it too far too fast.

Anyway, the wakizashi came with some documentation.  Not sure how legit this is or what it represents.  Any help discerning what I have would be appreciated.

Seems like it might have some age ~ 14th century.  With a family name.  Tha’s about what I can tell.  Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Mark Gaskill

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That seller sells lower grade swords out of Japan, on eBay.
Let's see pics of the sword first. It will be a genuine sword, but likely not a high grade one. Age is fairly insignificant over quality. The document is just the sword license and contains the physical details of the sword.

Brian, I suppose you are probably correct.  I’m not into the blade for too much and I’m learning a lot.  This one will hopefully help ensure I don’t make mistakes the next time around when there is more on the line.  Still, I think it is interesting if nothing more than for the age.  For comparison I have some native pots in my collection that were made about the same time -  a little earlier.  The differences in technology and culture are amazing.  Both beautiful in their own way - but the cultures were worlds apart at the time.  The flaws I assume will lessen the value of the blade but it’s still art and technology well represented. A treasure for a novice like me.

2B986A6E-758B-4063-A00B-9B803DD219D5.jpeg

ED2907B7-5080-4540-9B5E-E9EEF66E7975.jpeg

413688D7-9A60-44C6-B280-4D3477A46B69.jpeg

E01C9857-761D-4075-9754-1DA032E7EB80.jpeg

03A5265C-7F8F-44FB-A7B0-3BAAABD8576D.jpeg

421DE72A-E98A-4988-A5AF-08E6A35C6F0F.jpeg

Mark, I recommend hitting the books.  There are a lot of great general books on Japanese swords.  You can also spend time on NMB and answer lots of questions that you have just by searching.  Grey Doffin's site is a great place to buy books.

The bright side of this sword is that it is genuine, has good resting mounts and is in good polish.  It is also signed, and Kunimitsu is a very common name, so people won't be concerned that it is gimei.  

On the dark side, the ware, or flaws in the steel, are quite large and distracting.  The temper line is chu suguha, meaning narrow and straight, and most collectors find simple suguha to be a bit uninteresting (although some love it).  

It's worth maybe $300-600, depending on the market.  My advice is to enjoy it as long as you can and study it.  Hopefully you got into it cheap enough that you will get your money back or even make a few bucks once you decide to sell it.  After you have made progress on your reading and know what you want next, then you have a sword budget from the proceeds.  

Best of luck with your collecting!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..