Polisher recommendations

If the blade in question is in good condition, I do not recommend polishing. the process involves removal of material. when we talk about blades that are hundreds of years old. This is not negligible, and will reduce its overall life expectancy. we have to think about the future generation.
Can we have pictures of the blade to better judge? And needless to say that I advise you not to undertake yourself (or an amateur) work on this blade.
cordially
max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, French nihonto said:

If the blade in question is in good condition, I do not recommend polishing. the process involves removal of material. when we talk about blades that are hundreds of years old. This is not negligible, and will reduce its overall life expectancy. we have to think about the future generation.
Can we have pictures of the blade to better judge? And needless to say that I advise you not to undertake yourself (or an amateur) work on this blade.
cordially
max

I understand life expectancy and keeping the blade thick and healthy why I said "touch up polish". I wouldn't be asking for recommendations on a good polisher to send it too if I was gonna hack job it myself. But I understand your concerns because it can ruin a beautiful blade. I guess next time I won't go into so much detail I'll just simply ask does anyone know a good trustworthy polisher?.

9 minutes ago, NihontoCollector said:

You may want to post images for a more qualified oppinion as to wheter a touch up polish wpould be recommeneded both condition and value wise

I'm at work right this minute, but let's just pretend I didn't even mention the blade hahah. Do you have a polisher you recommend that is really my question???.

2 minutes ago, Edward Mahle said:

I'm at work right this minute, but let's just pretend I didn't even mention the blade hahah. Do you have a polisher you recommend that is really my question???.

Nobody can answer your question without any more details. That is like you say you have an old painting that you want to get cleaned and which craftman to pick. Now are we talking about an old Picaso or a painting that was done by a hobbyist within your family?

In the USA you have Jimmy Hayaashi and Ted Tenold who many consider to be the best on the continent but their rates will also be the highest. Woody ins Las Vegas is also recommend and somewhat cheaper. Then there is a bunch of none traditional trained polishers.

But again nobody can goive you a serious reply unless you are more specific

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NihontoCollector said:

Nobody can answer your question without any more details. That is like you say you have an old painting that you want to get cleaned and which craftman to pick. Now are we talking about an old Picaso or a painting that was done by a hobbyist within your family?

In the USA you have Jimmy Hayaashi and Ted Tenold who many consider to be the best on the continent but their rates will also be the highest. Woody ins Las Vegas is also recommend and somewhat cheaper. Then there is a bunch of none traditional trained polishers.

But again nobody can goive you a serious reply unless you are more specific

Thank you for your recommendations and that is great to hear of good polisher's within the US. And I totally understand what you're saying my friend it is my fault for the misunderstanding. I'm not really all that serious about this certain blade being polished. It basically sparked my interest on where would I even go to find a good polisher in the first place for a future reference so my apologies. 

Thank you Barry a direct answer  all this dissecting the original question what blade

what is what that what what!

Ther is touch up polishing. Ask Woody. Ask Bob Bension ask Big Moe....if its more than showato dont use David H.  Jimmy H in California is fully trained.  You can get crap polish in Nippon too. 

So if one has or had a polish let him know who you used,  and what your blade is.

• Like 1

Yes thank you guys for getting right to it, David H seemed to take alot off the blade and going over his page he was saying how he does a better polish then most Japanese Togishi. Seemed alittle over confident to me, but that might be the fact I have alot of faith in Japanese craftsmanship. 

Takeo would be the another excellent polisher. All of these polishers do great work and will have a waiting list. There is another Japanese trained sword polisher whose name I do not recall - the person that taught Ted Tenold. Then of course Bob Benson has also had several students who are excellent polishers but not sure if they take any work.

David Hoffhine is used by many people, too it seems but not everybody does approve him. I have no expirience with him.

Woody once did a touch up polish on one if my blades and he did a good job. I can recommend him. Get in touch with him directly. He is on Facebook.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stephen said:

Thank you Barry a direct answer  all this dissecting the original question what blade

what is what that what what!

Ther is touch up polishing. Ask Woody. Ask Bob Bension ask Big Moe....if its more than showato dont use David H.  Jimmy H in California is fully trained.  You can get crap polish in Nippon too. 

So if one has or had a polish let him know who you used,  and what your blade is.

Hi Stephen. Is the Jimmy H you are refering to Jimmy Hayashi? It would be nice to find a local Togishi.

Woody used to polish all of Bob Benson's Juyo blades, & he's been doing mine for a long time. He's just not quite as convenient since he moved from Hawaii to Las Vegas.

Edward, send some photos to Woody, & take his advice on how, or whether, your blade should be polished.

• Thanks 1

Well I think that's why I asked who gets it done the quickest just because of the pure excitement to see your Nihonto all cleaned up. I can already feel my teeth chattering haha, But I know in the end it's definitely worth the wait and investment. Seeing a Japanese made katana in perfect polish is beyond beautiful it's such a honor to be a Nihontos caretaker.

Sorry, no apologies for raining on anyone's parade here, but just as exciting as receiving a freshly polished sword may be, and it is, the truth is that unless the sword has been polished by an excellent polisher the end results may be in both the long and short term not quite up to par ending in disappointment. And what could be worse is that the recipient may not have the background to properly assess the result or know the difference. After all, ignorance is bliss. In the end the sword owner may find out by receiving a disappointing and poor shinsa result leaving them wondering how that was possible without ever understanding why. Oh, yes, a shiny "new" sword, but what if some of the most critical factors like foundation and finish were not executed quite up to snuff or even incorrectly (for the sword)? Since, according to the Japanese, kantei is the very foundation for nihonto appreciation, wouldn't that make the choice of selecting the right polisher for the sword most critical? Which brings up the question of how do we really know? By simply asking? By looking at actual examples of the polisher's work (traveling to sword shows or participating in club events where you have the opportunity to see polished swords)? Choose wisely, do your homework.

Just food for thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Edward, since you’re in the United States you can avail yourself of the fortune of having two fully qualified polishers: Robert Benson and Jimmy Hayashi both of who are classically trained and thankfully live in the states making shipment easier.

I know for a fact that Mr. Benson is kind enough to answer questions via email, you could send him detailed photos of a sword and ask if a polish is warranted and he will give you a honest answer, even it is not to polish. Hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No need for apologies Franco D I appreciate the input. I have been recommended both of those polisher's from a few other members must be a reason for it. And don't worry I'm a perfectionist like most other Nihonto collectors. Why we collect the best swords ever made that deserve the best treatment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..