Shibayama

Spartancrest

Are Shibayama truly tsuba?

I love the workmanship but are they truly tsuba or just tourist ware?  They could never serve the function they are imitating - so are they outside the realm of tosogu and more in the way of 'decorative foreign exchange'?     https://www.jauce.com/auction/q1002008505  [There have been some problems lately with links to Jauce. - I am uncertain why.]
image.thumb.png.e7c7d2e6eb8c4bdf5cdfa1f8045b052e.png
  • Like 1

Dear Dale.

I think your questions answer themselves, though the examples I have seen have been stunning.   Indeed some of them were the very first Japanese works of art that made a profound impression on me as a child when I saw them in our local museum.

Major auction houses tend to catalogue these in a different section to the tsuba they list so for most people I would suggest they are a different class of item.

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..