Translation Help WWll Vet Bring Back Japanese Samuri

xqsme

Finally found a forum that knows all about Japanese Swords. I was given this sword by my uncle, a WWll US Marine that served in the Pacific. He passed away at 92 years old, and still tough as nails. For the life of me i can't remember  the island he was on. But he was very graphic on how he acquired this sword.  Anyway, any and all information this forum can help with is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IMGP8033.JPG

IMGP8034.JPG

IMGP8035.JPG

IMGP8036.JPG

IMGP8037.JPG

IMGP8038.JPG

IMGP8039.JPG

IMGP8040.JPG

IMGP8041.JPG

Looks like the smith's name is Kanesada (兼定). The last character looks a bit funny.

(This is a way of saying, "If I am wrong, I blame the bad handwriting of the swordsmith").

The other side shows the date. Shōwa 18 (1943) June. 昭和十八年六月  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is in standard Type 98 mounts, generally a coloured tassel would be on the little loop at the bottom of the handle to signify the owners rank. We would all be interested to hear the story of how it was acquired if you wanted to post it in the Military Sword section?

But he was very graphic on how he acquired this sword

Not everyone wants to hear gory and sensitive details about battles or the sadness of war.
Please use your discretion and use the "spoiler" feature if sensitive info is posted.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..