Tassel storage

Mark C

Hi All,

Unsure if this question has been asked before, Apologies if it has.

How do you keep your sword tassels safe, Do you leave them on the sword or are they stored elsewhere?

Currently I have 6 swords with tassels and I keep the tassels off sword in a ziplock bag attached to the saya ashi. I do this as the swords are not on display and stored in their own sword bag that risks potential tassel damage every time you take the sword from and replace the sword in it's bag.

Interested to hear peoples opinions.

All the best

Mark

Mark, like all things made of cloth and threads, they can deteriorate with light, humidity, handling and insects. I keep my tassels in sealed zip lock bags, in a storage box out of the light. And only put them on a sword for photographic purposes. 

Obviously they look great on a sword display, but their longevity would be compromised. 

a12.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is the storage guide for silk items from the smithsonian: 

A silk quilt should be stored in a clean, dry, dark area. It should have no direct contact with wood, ordinary paper, or paper products. Depending upon its construction and condition, a silk quilt may be folded and placed in undyed muslin. The folds should be padded with muslin or buffered paper to avoid permanent creasing and splitting. The folds should be changed several times a year to minimize further damage. Nothing heavy should be placed on top of the quilt. Another piece of buffered paper or muslin should be used to cover the quilt to protect it from the elements. Never seal silk quilts, or any other antique textile, in a plastic bag as there is a danger of moisture condensation as well as acid damage from the fumes given off by some types of plastic. If some type of plastic cover is necessary to prevent water damage, cover the textile with muslin first and then wrap it with polyethylene plastic, leaving a small area unsealed to assure proper air circulation.

I keep most of mine on swords but the rare or already fragile examples I have stay in a storage box, away from light. Putting on and taking off a tassel is the most stressful thing to them. If a tassel is already starting to show signs of fragility best to store it safely rather then on a sword. 

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..