"Memorial sword" in Gunto Koshirae

Itomagoi

Hello,

I have this beautiful sword which was made around 1988 by Masatsugu (政丞), real name is Fujino Yoshisaburo (藤野芳三郎). He is one of the fifth students of the famous swordsmiths Sakai Ikkansai Shigemasa (酒井一貫斎繁政).

It is a "Memorial sword" and has the following Mei (thanks and greetings to SteveM):

知知夫住藤野政丞作
応桜井三郎造之

為旧近衛連隊陸軍中佐
桜井冨治十三回忌供養造之
明治十九年一月二十三日仙台生八十九才武州川越没

The sword is by Fujino Masatsugu from Chichibu city in Saitama Prefecture. 

It was made at the request of Sakurai Saburō, on the ocassion of the 13th anniversary of the passing of his relative Sakurai Tomiharu, who was at one time a Lieutenant in the Japanese Imperial Army. Tomiharu was born in Sendai city on January 23rd, Meiji 19 (1886), and died at the age of 89 (1975) in Kawagoe city.

On the Gunto Kabutogane and Habaki is a Sakura Mon. So this fits great with the Sakurai Family.

I see such a sword for the first time. Have any of you ever seen a modern sword put into a Gunto Koshirae as a memorial sword?

Thank you for your opinion.

Peter

Masasuke Gunto.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Itomagoi said:

Hello,

I have this beautiful sword which was made around 1988 by Masatsugu (政丞), real name is Fujino Yoshisaburo (藤野芳三郎). He is one of the fifth students of the famous swordsmiths Sakai Ikkansai Shigemasa (酒井一貫斎繁政).

It is a "Memorial sword" and has the following Mei (thanks and greetings to SteveM):

知知夫住藤野政丞作
応桜井三郎造之

為旧近衛連隊陸軍中佐
桜井冨治十三回忌供養造之
明治十九年一月二十三日仙台生八十九才武州川越没

The sword is by Fujino Masatsugu from Chichibu city in Saitama Prefecture. 

It was made at the request of Sakurai Saburō, on the ocassion of the 13th anniversary of the passing of his relative Sakurai Tomiharu, who was at one time a Lieutenant in the Japanese Imperial Army. Tomiharu was born in Sendai city on January 23rd, Meiji 19 (1886), and died at the age of 89 (1975) in Kawagoe city.

On the Gunto Kabutogane and Habaki is a Sakura Mon. So this fits great with the Sakurai Family.

I see such a sword for the first time. Have any of you ever seen a modern sword put into a Gunto Koshirae as a memorial sword?

Thank you for your opinion.

Peter

Peter

Do you have photos of both sides of tang?

Hey Trystan,

here pic's of Nakago.

The Typ98 Koshirae is not a repro. All fittings with the number 29 and Kabutogane has a Sakura Mon.

Yes, it is very likely that it is the original Lt. Colonel's koshirae.

Ingenious Volker, that is very special!

I have been trying to get in contact (email-address) with Fujino Masatsugu Sensei, but no success. -.-

20210824_135839.jpg

20210824_135854.jpg

20210824_135902.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I found the hopefully correct address of Fujino (Yoshisaburo) Masatsugu but no email. So I wrote a polite letter last September, introduced myself and put a photo of me in the envelope and hoped to get in touch with the smith.

But unfortunately until today I have not received an answer.

Maybe someone of the members from Japan can help me with this? :-)

To this address I send the letter:

Fujino Consistency Mitsumasa
Japanese Sword Forge

藤野一貫斉光正日本刀鍛錬場

854 Kamikagemori, Chichibu,
Saitama 369-1872, Japan

369-1872
秩父市上影森854

TEL0494-22-1497

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..