Judgement paper translation.

Edward Mahle

Yes, the Gassan group is a well-known line of swordsmiths. I don't know anything about this particular smith.

The authentication paper is not from the well-respected NBTHK or NTHK. The paper you have is issued by a group that is somewhat mysterious, and they seem to be connected with a dealer in Osaka. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SteveM said:

Yes, the Gassan group is a well-known line of swordsmiths. I don't know anything about this particular smith.

The authentication paper is not from the well-respected NBTHK or NTHK. The paper you have is issued by a group that is somewhat mysterious, and they seem to be connected with a dealer in Osaka

Thank you for the info much appreciated Steve.

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

Registration card basically says what you can see. Dimensions and what is on the tang.
It verifies nothing.
Original registration card outside of Japan usually means illegally exported sword. :lipssealed:

Thank you for the response Brain, I don't have the original I just used the photo of the original haha. So like you were saying it just has the dimensions and physical aspects of the blade not when it was made or who made it.

That's right, registration cards only describe the piece of metal (how long, how many holes, any inscription, etc.). The people doing to the registration don't make any judgment on the maker, or the authenticity of the name, or the quality. The only thing they judge is: is the sword in front of me eligible to be registered (or is it, for example, a replica, a toy, a factory-made import, etc...?

• Thanks 1

The paper also appears to state that it has gonome hamon and masame hada.  I also think that it attributes the sword to the Edo period, making it a true samurai sword.  Sadaharu is listed in Hawley's as Kensaishi Sadaharu, and worked in 1866, toward the end of Edo.  

• Like 1

Thank you Robert for giving me further details on the translation paper. From the research that I've done on this sword It really does point towards the Gassan school. I don't think the people who made the judgment did it at random between the hada hamon size of the nagasa scream Gassan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..