Kunimune Tanto

Dan,

If you can't read the first kanji (I can't either and neither could the Japanese guy who wrote the Torokusho) how can you conclude which Kunimune signed the blade? Even if the signature was readable and said Rai Kunimune, why would you conclude that the signature was genuine without further proof?

For such a high ranked smith only a current NBTHK paper is worth anything (see Michael's comments above).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

There are few cracks = There are not many cracks.

Piers,

probably you are right. I understood it more as: THERE ARE (A) FEW CRACKS.

But be it as it may: There is not much consolation in the fact that there might be not so many cracks! :glee:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Katsujinken said:

- In Japan

- Not papered / green papers

- On eBay

Whenever 2 or more of these things are true, you should run away (unless you can kantei with the best of them). 

1 hour ago, Shugyosha said:

Dan,

If you can't read the first kanji (I can't either and neither could the Japanese guy who wrote the Torokusho) how can you conclude which Kunimune signed the blade? Even if the signature was readable and said Rai Kunimune, why would you conclude that the signature was genuine without further proof?

For such a high ranked smith only a current NBTHK paper is worth anything (see Michael's comments above).

After reading your posts, you have helped me prove a point to myself. (I had all these points in my head as I was reading the listing)

Why on earth would a Rai Kunimune (son of the famed Kunitoshi) be on eBay from a sword dealer for a measly $999? Ain't no way this is a "Diamond in the rough" that he just overlooked and didn't realize what he had. Last point to myself, if it were half of a decent blade...putting the signature to the side, why is it not papered by NBTHK? I would think that is a small investment for a dealer in Japan to obtain papers to boost confidence in your product.

Many thanks to all who responded. Your input is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

@Gakusee Just closed a few minutes ago for $7500 (plus shipping and 23% buyer premium, so north of $9200). *low whistle*

https://bid.sofedesignauctions.com/lots/view/4-39AP2I/rare-koto-era-Japanese-samurai-tanto-dagger-signed-rai-kunitoshi-circa-1300s

EDIT: Sorry, this was the one @NihontoCollector was looking at, not the original one that led to this thread.

Just now, NihontoCollector said:

To me the Shintetsu would not have been a show stopper if shoshin.

To me, it would have and was.  If you buy Rai, you want proper Rai - flawless hada, nice jinie, beautiful hamon….. Here there were remnants of some nice jinie and chikei here and there but overall disappointing 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..