Translation and basic info on potential sword

nickm

Just found this and have the option to purchase for 600. Definitely in relatively rough shape but no fatal falls that I have seen. Waiting on additional pictures to give more of an idea as to what it is but wondering ring 1st off if anyone can read the inscription and 2nd if anyone can tell me anything about it given its condition and if I am an ass for purchasing it..  I will add more pictures if helpful as soon as I get them. Thanks to anyone that can offer any advice

16298373913435240342757635320953_27455198866869.jpg

16298373835146543639971842048093_27462417736189.jpg

16298373732142807200578791188886_27464169199522.jpg

Still kind of on the fence. Going to see it in person tomorrow and honestly not much you can do with 400 that you can't do without it. Just getting back into collecting a bit and tend to throw a donation once a month when I am active. Again appreciate the advice

51 minutes ago, Geraint said:

Just an observation, that is a nice saya with soritsuno........

All the best.

...and which might be worth a decent chunk of $400 by itself. As Michael says, there's something off about the monouchi area and from the photo provided I can't actually see a kissaki but if you have better photos that answer those questions then for the price I'd take a punt.

I appreciate the replies. As far as the story goes his grandfather brought it back post World War II and he remembers it having been rather pretty at 1 point but it had been in his basement for about 20 years until its rediscovery last week.. Of course stories are exactly that but wondering how would I tell if the monuchi had seen fire as opposed to rust?

Enlarging the image it can easily be seen that the iron oxide colors have moved up from the point as it has been heated.  Sadly, I think its a dead sword, but maybe the scabbard looks nice enough for a couple hundred bucks - or less.

BaZZa.

Well as unfortunate luck would have it I texted the owner about the fear of fire damage and asked for a picture of the tip of the sword and had no response. Evidently right on the money you guys were and thank you very much for saving me saving me from a failed purchase

I texted the owner about more detailed pictures of the blade given the forums concerns. That led to an absolute absence of response from a formerly rather responsive fellow. Very right they were it seems about the fire damage. That said this ship has sailed. But have bought several interesting things since then to keep me entertained for a while

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..