Tang Translation help request

Cire69

I have had this sword in my collection for several years.  I got it from a friend who's father had in for as long as he (the son) could remember. My initial impression was this was a "tourist" type sword but I figured if I had the translation of the kanji it might lead to a better understanding of where it came from and what it might actually.  There are no other markings that I have found.  The koshirae is a simple wooden tsuka and saya with plan steel rings and a plane tsuba.  Thanks you!

0814211025.jpg

壽命 = Jumyo

The mekugi-ana (hole on the tang) appears to be punched, not drilled. This usually indicates an older blade, but we all need to see the complete blade and tip of the blade to give you a better assessment. So far, I would say it is NOT a cheap tourist item.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raaay said:

Hi Dan ,

sorry too disagree , but it looks   like a drilled hole to me , you can even see the burr marks , IMHO  i would say it is a Showa sword ,  we need more  photos  to be  a 100% 

Fàilte Ray. I based my opinion on the size of the burr on the top side of the hole. Look at the shadow. Drilling generally will not leave that large of a burr. Your opinion of Showa is a reasonable opinion based on the cleanliness of the nakago and absence of any darker colors that would indicate an older blade. We can probably agree that we need more info than just the nakago picture to really give an accurate assessment of it. Have a pint of Strongbow for us both...I could really use one right about now.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..