I've been hesitant to share the ITK website, but I might as well get some opinions and feedback on it. Its just a basic site to share info on attending our meetings and connect regional members. Anyone here is welcome to join and or attend the meetings of course.

You'll have to forgive me if the website seems crude; I am no web designer!

https://indianatokenkai.wixsite.com/indiana-token-kai

• Like 2

Chris,

As a previous resident of Indiana, this is one of the few things I regret about moving far South from there. If I were still a resident, I would 100% attend and participate in the meetings. I feel that you are doing a great service to collectors and helping to spark new interest into our passion/hobby. Looking at the website, I have nothing negative to say, and think it is a great start.

Wishing you and the other members great sucess!

Dan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There will not be an ITK meeting for the month of December!

However, we will have one in January. It will take place on Saturday, January 21st at 10AM. Our meeting will be held in the Morgan County Public Library in downtown Martinsville, IN and is open to the public. The topic is: The Five Great Traditions: The Bizen School wherein members will bring in various books and representative pieces to help foster a discussion on the traits, chronology, etc of the Bizen school.

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Best of luck with your study group. Here in Florida collectors have been meeting informally over the last few years, but have not yet reformed the former Florida Token Kai. Distance seems to play a big factor and so we move the meet ups around a little with a solid core of people, but also new local collectors show up at each venue. In any event, wishing you continued success with your study group. I have to say there is nothing like viewing and discussing a sword with a knowledgeable group of enthusiasts - the learning is unparalleled.

Best Regards,

Mark

P.S. - An invitation to the 9th annual Orlando Japanese Antiques and Sword Show to you and your club members. Grab a table. you'll enjoy Florida and the group. 

Show Flyer Public.pdf

• 1 month later...

The next ITK meeting is on March 4th, 10 a.m.  It will be held in the Morgan County Public Library in downtown Martinsville, IN. Message me with any questions you may have!

The meeting topic is: Photography of Nihonto/Shinsa and Show Preparations. Our group members will be bringing some of the finest blades they have for the session. Expect to see some really nice pieces!

Chris,

Maybe you and some of the other members could have an impromptu meeting at the Show of Shows in Louisville, KY on Feb 23 - 25. Would enjoy meeting you and the others.  Many from the Las Vegas show will be at this show as well. Would enjoy networking all of us together.

http://www.sosovms.com/Show_of_Shows/

Dan

• 1 month later...

Our next meeting is a week from today (Saturday), 10 A.M. at the Morgan County Public Library. Any and all are welcome!

The meeting topic is: Photography of Nihonto/Shinsa Preparations. Expect to see some nice blades being presented for photographing by a skilled photographer! I'll see about sharing some of the results here.

DM me if you have questions.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ITK meeting on March 4th was a great time. Thanks to everyone who showed up!

We discussed old business, then Shinsa preparations with Mark Jones in attendance, then we had a wonderful photography session of the blades presented photographed by our own Johnathon Crow. Big welcome to our newest member: Jim Tobin!

Our next meeting will be an informal one held at the Chicago Sword Show next month! All are welcome to stop by the 'Indiana Island" at the show and chat with us/peruse our blades/books/tosogu!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Our next meeting will be an informal one held at the Chicago Sword Show next month! All are welcome to stop by the 'Indiana Island" at the show and chat with us/peruse our blades/books/tosogu!

As a previous Hoosier, I would like to check out the Indiana Island. <-- hopefully better than "Indiana Beach on beautiful Lake Shafer in Monticello, IN. Proving once again there is more than corn in Indiana." lol

5 hours ago, DTM72 said:

As a previous Hoosier, I would like to check out the Indiana Island. <-- hopefully better than "Indiana Beach on beautiful Lake Shafer in Monticello, IN. Proving once again there is more than corn in Indiana." lol

That place is a train wreck, rusty, decrepit, and smells.. has the whole nine yards of horribleness!

But our meeting was wonderful, and we'll see you at the Chicago show!

1 hour ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

Surely it is better than Gary, Indiana?

Yes, but only because people don't have to live there. Just imagine an amusement park from the 1980's, left to rot without proper maintenance for 40 years!

If you want a good amusement park in Indiana, go to Holiday World. Family owned, clean, free drinks and sunscreen, well-gardened and shaded paths, with a waterpark that you can make a day trip out of on its own without even touching the normal amusement park!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:32 AM, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

Surely it is better than Gary, Indiana?

I had some classes in Gary/Hammond, Indiana in 1998. Most of us were not from that area. We were all warned to stay indoors after dark and to NOT drive around the area. That was 25 years ago, and I'm told it has gotten even worse since then.

Back to the ITK, see you guys in Chicago!

• 1 month later...

The next ITK meeting will be held at our standard location on June 3rd. The topic will be: Shinsa Results, wherein we will discuss our shinsa results and experience!

As always, reach out to me if you have questions on attendance or in general.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our last meeting was wonderful. We had a great time discussing the Chicago Show shinsa results and even had a member bring a Juyo blade! The meeting minutes are posted to the Indiana Token Kai website: https://indianatokenkai.wixsite.com/indiana-token-kai

Our next meeting is July 15th (Saturday), 10 A.M. at the Morgan County Public Library. Any and all are welcome!

The meeting topic is: Gokaden: Soshu Den. There will be a number of very nice Soshu pieces available to examine!

DM me if you have questions about attending, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Indiana Token Kai's presentation on Japanese Swords went off very well at GenCon Indianapolis!

Our next meeting date is Saturday, August 26th from 10 to 2PM at the Morgan County Public Library in Downtown Martinsville, IN. The topic of the meeting is tosogu! We will be bringing our favorite and most interesting tsuba and other fittings to share. All are welcome to attend.

Contact me if you need more information and/or assistance with attending. We do offer Zoom attendance for those who cannot make it there in person.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..