Hello fellow board members!

I am writing this post to inform you all of the formation of the Indiana Token Kai.

Our basic charter is as follows, and includes membership requirements.

Indiana Token Kai

Purpose Statement

The Indiana Token Kai is an organization:

• For the appreciation, study, and preservation of antique Japanese swords and related items
  • To provide knowledge sharing and educational opportunities for members and the general public
  • To conduct monthly sword-appreciation meetings

Membership requirements

Members should:

If you wish to join, please email me directly or message me here on the NMB. We are small but meet quarterly/to monthly (as time and situation warrants). We do mask up and follow proper procedures to ensure members' healthy and safety. We have a modest collection of texts and nihonto and conduct study and appreciation time during said meetings. Our first meeting was fantastic and I encourage others to come. We welcome people of all stripes and paths of life and are a friendly lot, so don't be shy!

~Chris, Co-Founder of ITK

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I grew-up in Indianapolis, and left 18 years ago. Tired of the snow and the cold. Still have family up there and visit occasionally.

Wishing you all the best with this group. I would like to start one here in South Carolina.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian! Thanks Dan! If you're ever in the area during a meeting, you're more than welcome to join us/bring blades. I think I can confidently say that goes for anyone here on the board too.

We're going to put together a simple website for the ITK soon I believe. And Brian (or anyone), do we need to do anything to be recognized by the broader community?

Chris,

When I lived up there, I was member of the OVMS (Ohio Valley Military Society) They hold a huge show in Louisville called the Show of Shows (SOS) and also a bigger show in Pittsburgh called the Military Antiques Extravaganza (MAX). Those would be great places to scout Japanese sword sellers/collectors to join your group.

Being that we are new, we've only just started meeting. Our first meeting was at the home of one of our Co-Founders (not me). We are waiting until public facilities (such as libraries) are open to groups using their spaces again. We do not have a permanent meeting space just yet.

The first meeting was really nice with several very interesting blades including: a Yamato Senjuin Kamakura tachi (papered), a Morimasa wakizashi, etc.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, ChrisW said:

Yes, I've heard of the SoS. Always been meaning to attend, but things always get away from me around that time. I'll have to make a stronger point of attending. Thanks!

Next show is Feb 23-27th. I plan on coming from Charleston, SC just for this show. If you plan on coming, let me know. Would like to meet a fellow collector.

• 1 month later...

Next Indiana Token Kai meeting is being held this Saturday (the 2nd)! Please DM me for details about location and time if you wish to attend. The location is much more centralized this time.

Per the location owner's wishes, masks are required. And its better for the swords anyways! :)

Dan,

Too bad you couldn't make it - maybe next time?

We had a good meeting - among others shared for appreciation were a Tadahiro wakizashi,  (presumed) Kanesada katana,  naginata,  Hisamichi wakizashi,  Jumyo tanto,  Yasunaga wakizashi,  Kamakura Senjuin tachi, a Kashu Kiyomitsu katana, and others.

We hope to hold our next meeting in mid-November.

Dan K. (ITK co-founder)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Our last meeting was very interesting with some nice blades that we studied for several hours!

A little brochure was put together illustrating the blades brought. As usual, forgive the photography! None of us are skilled photographers with equipment better than our phones!

Indiana Token Kai Sugata Study

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Chris,

I am a Nihonto student living in Ohio. I am looking to join a local club to meet with other Nihonto collectors and studying Nihonto together in person. It seems most of the local Nihonto clubs are all located in the west coast. And I don't know if we have a serious Nihonto club in Ohio. Driving to indiana seems ok for me, definitely better than a trip between California and Ohio. LOL

Is your sword club associated with the NBTHK US branch? The swords that you guys have for the previous meeting seem very attractive to me. I hope I may have the chance to join you guys in yours future meeting :)

Thank you very much!

AL

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nihonto Otaku said:

Dear Chris,

I am a Nihonto student living in Ohio. I am looking to join a local club to meet with other Nihonto collectors and studying Nihonto together in person. It seems most of the local Nihonto clubs are all located in the west coast. And I don't know if we have a serious Nihonto club in Ohio. Driving to indiana seems ok for me, definitely better than a trip between California and Ohio. LOL

Is your sword club associated with the NBTHK US branch? The swords that you guys have for the previous meeting seem very attractive to me. I hope I may have the chance to join you guys in yours future meeting :)

Thank you very much!

AL

You are more than welcome to join us AL Lee! Just send me an email so I can get you on the email conversation for when we schedule meetings and I'll be sure to get word to you when we next meet. As it stands, it looks like our next meeting will be late February or early March; busy holidays and all!

We are not yet associated with the NBTHK just yet, since we are new and fairly small, but once we pick up a few more members, it will be something that is surely discussed with more seriousness. We welcome allcomers though! Generally speaking, our meeting locations are held in the central part of the state to minimize traveling distances for members.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The next ITK meeting is scheduled to be on Saturday, the 26th of February. We will be meeting at 10 A.M. at the Carnegie Public Library in Martinsville, IN. The meeting is open to the public but we respectfully ask that masks be worn per the library's visitor recommendations. (And its better for the swords!)

This meeting's topic is hada. Please contact me ahead of time if you wish to bring a blade to the meeting.

• 2 months later...

Our next meeting is scheduled for May 21st at 10 A.M. We will be meeting at the Morgan County Public Library in Martinsville, IN. All are welcome.

The topic of study is "Mystery blades." We will also be welcoming a new member who will be bringing some armor to share with us!

As always, if you need directions or have other questions, feel more than free to email or message me directly.

• 2 months later...

Before I go gently into that good night...

Our next public meeting is on Saturday, August 13th at 10 A.M. We will be meeting again at the Morgan County Public Library in Martinsville, IN.

The topic for this meeting is "Best of the Collections" and will feature some nice blades including a Senjuin Tachi, Yamato Ken, and a Kiyomitsu Katana!

If you have questions, please reach out to me for information on how to attend or if you have questions!

And of course, if any of you gentlemen on the board would like to come, we'd more than love that!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The next public meeting for the Indiana Token Kai is on Saturday, October 22nd at 10 A.M We will be meeting at the Morgan County Public Library in Martinsville, IN.

If you have any questions, p[lease out to me for information on how to attend or if you have general questions.

The offer for any board members to attend is standing. We'd love to have you all!

• 1 month later...

The next public meeting for the Indiana Token Kai is on Saturday, November 19th at 10 A.M. 

The meeting location is the Morgan County Public Library in Martinsville, IN.

The topic of discussion is: Gendaito and Showato!

As always, reach out to me if you have questions on attendance or in general.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..