Hello fellow board members!

I am writing this post to inform you all of the formation of the Indiana Token Kai.

Our basic charter is as follows, and includes membership requirements.

Indiana Token Kai

Purpose Statement

The Indiana Token Kai is an organization:

• For the appreciation, study, and preservation of antique Japanese swords and related items
  • To provide knowledge sharing and educational opportunities for members and the general public
  • To conduct monthly sword-appreciation meetings

Membership requirements

Members should:

If you wish to join, please email me directly or message me here on the NMB. We are small but meet quarterly/to monthly (as time and situation warrants). We do mask up and follow proper procedures to ensure members' healthy and safety. We have a modest collection of texts and nihonto and conduct study and appreciation time during said meetings. Our first meeting was fantastic and I encourage others to come. We welcome people of all stripes and paths of life and are a friendly lot, so don't be shy!

~Chris, Co-Founder of ITK

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I grew-up in Indianapolis, and left 18 years ago. Tired of the snow and the cold. Still have family up there and visit occasionally.

Wishing you all the best with this group. I would like to start one here in South Carolina.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian! Thanks Dan! If you're ever in the area during a meeting, you're more than welcome to join us/bring blades. I think I can confidently say that goes for anyone here on the board too.

We're going to put together a simple website for the ITK soon I believe. And Brian (or anyone), do we need to do anything to be recognized by the broader community?

Chris,

When I lived up there, I was member of the OVMS (Ohio Valley Military Society) They hold a huge show in Louisville called the Show of Shows (SOS) and also a bigger show in Pittsburgh called the Military Antiques Extravaganza (MAX). Those would be great places to scout Japanese sword sellers/collectors to join your group.

Being that we are new, we've only just started meeting. Our first meeting was at the home of one of our Co-Founders (not me). We are waiting until public facilities (such as libraries) are open to groups using their spaces again. We do not have a permanent meeting space just yet.

The first meeting was really nice with several very interesting blades including: a Yamato Senjuin Kamakura tachi (papered), a Morimasa wakizashi, etc.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, ChrisW said:

Yes, I've heard of the SoS. Always been meaning to attend, but things always get away from me around that time. I'll have to make a stronger point of attending. Thanks!

Next show is Feb 23-27th. I plan on coming from Charleston, SC just for this show. If you plan on coming, let me know. Would like to meet a fellow collector.

• 1 month later...

Next Indiana Token Kai meeting is being held this Saturday (the 2nd)! Please DM me for details about location and time if you wish to attend. The location is much more centralized this time.

Per the location owner's wishes, masks are required. And its better for the swords anyways! :)

I was just in Indy this weekend for my brothers wedding. His wedding was Saturday, so I could not have attended but hope it wen't well for you and the other attendees.

Dan

Dan,

Too bad you couldn't make it - maybe next time?

We had a good meeting - among others shared for appreciation were a Tadahiro wakizashi,  (presumed) Kanesada katana,  naginata,  Hisamichi wakizashi,  Jumyo tanto,  Yasunaga wakizashi,  Kamakura Senjuin tachi, a Kashu Kiyomitsu katana, and others.

We hope to hold our next meeting in mid-November.

Dan K. (ITK co-founder)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry I will not be in the area to attend. I'll be in Louisville, KY Feb 25th and 26th for the Ohio Valley Military Society Show of Shows. Would enjoy crossing paths if any of you will be there.

Dan