Another signature request

AirDog01

Sorry everybody, I posted this elsewhere before noting this topic section.  My apologies for the other post.  Will try to delete.  

Just picked up a late WWII piece with some interesting markings and signatures.  It’s off to the polishers now, but any help deciphering would be greatly appreciated.

Mark G (AirDog)

D24AC1DA-7AFA-41C5-97A6-7D3A5F5BF21A.jpeg

8C112FFB-26C9-45ED-AB99-4E753FE7028B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Mark,

the date is May 1944.  Someone will help with the smith.

Would you mind taking a look at the back edge of the nakago to see if there are any stamps or numbers?

Also, are the metal fittings stamped with any numbers?

Hi Bruce. Thanks for the date assistance.  There are no other numbers or markings other than the text and the star pictured. This includes the fittings. I was kinda expecting to see those as well since it appears to have been made during the war vs an older piece placed into service.   From what I understand sword making during this period was pretty chaotic with a lot of moving pieces   Looks to be pretty well made but will see what the polisher has to say in coming weeks. I have a lot to learn!

5 hours ago, AirDog01 said:

no other numbers or markings other than the text and the star pictured. This includes the fittings

Thanks Mark.  Your blade is one of those with 2 sets of painted numbers.  One is "(MU) ム 78" and the other is "429".  I would love to say the MU 78 was an RJT number, but the mekugi ana closest to the tsuba shows that it was drilled twice, so this blade COULD have been re-fitted to the current fittings from something earlier.  This would explain, from a fittings shop perspective, the two sets of numbers.

Thank you everybody!! Dan, Bruce, Uwe you rock.  I'm looking forward to getting the blade back from the polisher - several months I suspect.  This is a deep hole I think I'm getting myself into.  Really enjoying learning and realizing the complexity here.  Very humbling,  but rewarding.  

Respectfully,

Mark G

I started in this "Deep Hole" about 25 years ago...got into a motorcycle racing habit around 2009-2010 and sold all my swords...2 years ago, I got back into it bigger than I ever was before.

Wishing you all the best.

Dan

• Like 1

Just sold my bikes after moving to Washington state.  Looking for a boat but came across this sword and am reevaluating........  Perhaps both I think.  My eyes are open for something else as I learn more.  I’d like to find myself with something with a bit more age but I need to learn a lot more first.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..