Information about dating

Matting2

I have recently received a couple swords from my parents estate. One appears to be old. Both were brought back after WW2. The older sword has a Mei with only a name Shigimasa. Is there a way to tell to approximate date it was created? I would also like to find out any information about the sword smith. I have become obsessed with finding out the history of this sword. But I guess that is a common occurrence  here.

IMG_20210821_204419815_HDR.jpg

Hi Mark.

Just to add to what I have posted on the other thread, there are a few smiths signing Shigemasa, mostly around 1500 to 1600.  In this field as in all the arts there is the possibility of a false signature but I think it less likely in this case.

Can you do a photograph of the whole blade straight on, one of the tip and one of the whole tang?  Tat might help us pin it down a little for you but whatever happens it is a sword made quite some time ago.

All the best.

Trust me, this is only the beginning!  It is a fascinating subject and one which can all too easily become, if not an obsession, then at least a lifelong interest.  I stumbled across my first Japanese sword when I was about fourteen, still have it and still have the interest.

All the best.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..