trying to get information on inherited Katana

Matting2

I am still intrigued by the ashi (hanger) being upside down on the saya (scabbard). Katana are thrust through the obi or belt, with sharpened edge up. Not that it has never been done, but I have not seen a katana with an ashi, as a tachi would have.

Hi Mark,

As a follow "new starter", here's a couple of links to glossary pages  that I use a lot - you may find them useful:

http://www.sho-shin.com/glossary.htm

https://www.nihonto.com/about-swords/glossary/

They have most of the terms you'll come across most often (others can be found using Google, or the Search facility here on NMB)

Cheers,

Jon

Mark, Dan answered the "mumei" question.

@PNSSHOGUN (John) would be a good guy to comment on the ashi, but personally, I think it's a WWII ashi - the swivel makes it stand out as such - so I think this old sword was fitted for the war with the ashi, likely had a leather cover that's been lost over time.  I agree it's unusual to see one fitted cutting edge up, but with the world of WWII swords nothing surprises me.  It was likely a private fitting job and the owner might have simply wanted it that way.  All speculation though.

• Like 1

Do you have  any idea of the cost of having the sword polished , determined by length of cutting edge, new saya, shipping fees of the agent and shinsa?

Money isn't an issue. If it is worth restoring a damaged monet or Rembrandt for a few thousand, it would be worth it just to preserve the history. 

For a polisher in the US, the prices are $95-$120 per inch to polish. Shira-saya for a katana is $850.

Shinsa with NBTHK is in Japan only. You will have shipping/insurance costs there and back, fee to Paul Martin or Bob Benson (agents that actually take your sword to the NBTHK about $250-$300), shinsa fee (about $250 if it passes).

Shinsa with NTHK, if they ever return to the US can be done by you, if you attend the event they are at. $100 submission fee plus $150 for the papers if it passes.

So...for a 28" katana polish (Yes they charge all the way to the file marks on the nakago) = roughly $3000. Shira-saya = $850, shinsa with NBTHK with agent fees, shipping, etc.= $700. Altogether you are looking at about $4500...roughly.

All the best,

Dan

• Like 2

Mark, if this were my sword and I was in your situation (family treasure that I want to have restored regardless of cost), I would send it to Mr. Kenji Mishina in Japan for restoration followed by shinsa at the NBTHK.  

If I have misread your situation and you do care about the cost-benefit ratio, then I would take the more cautious steps;  I would submit it to NTHK shinsa in Chicago or another US sword show (I prefer the NTHK-NPO shinsa led by Mr. Miyano).  If it gets papered to Shigemasa, hopefully they will tell you which one and which era.  My personal opinion from the shape is that it is likely to have been made between Keicho and Kanbun eras (1596-1661 or so), when the swords were fairly straight like this, with little curvature.  If it does paper, I would send it to Japan for restoration, after which it might be worth the cost of restoration or more if the polish comes out good with few or no flaws in the blade.  If it doesn't paper at the NTHK shinsa because of doubt about the signature, I would consider about whether it is worth sending to Japan for restoration.  In that case, it would likely involve another submission, this time to NBTHK.  If it doesn't paper there due to the mei, then the next step would be removal of the signature followed by polish, followed by yet another submission to NBTHK shinsa.  

Note that if the NTHK shinsa team rejects it due to some kind of fatal forging flaw, then I would just have the mounts restored as well as I could and just keep it in the US and abandon my plans to restore the blade.  

Just my view of it, and you will get as many opinions as people that care to reply.

Either way, it is a nice old blade with good mounts and I do endorse your plan to treasure it!

• Like 2

Thank you all for the incredible advice. It is greatly appreciated.  I may do the chicago show first. I live about 3 hours from there.  If it is a sword of historical value, I will treat it with the respect that it deserves. 5000 or more  wouldn't be a problem, as I said, to me this is a work of art, no different than any of the paintings that I have. It will be treasured for generations to come. It really is in great shape.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..