Scraps of Hinoki Wood

FZ1

OK, I know this is a bit of a long-shot, but does anyone have any scarps of Hinoki wood lying about please? 

... and I mean scraps!  I only need enough to make (or temporarily repair) a wooden habaki on a tsunagi.

If you've got anything suitable lying around, please PM me with a price.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon's need of HINOKI for a habaki may well be the right wood, I don't know.  However, being a pedant it falls to me to bring to The Peoples' attention the difference between HINOKI and HONOKI.  Compiled from internet sources.

BaZZa.

http://tsukiita.jp/en/publics/index/93/detail=1/b_id=100000007/r_id=1/#block100000007-1

HINOKI (Japanese CYPRESS)

Binomial name: (CHAMAECYPARIS OBTUSE)

Hinoki is one of the most elegant types of wood in Japan. This tree is a type of cypress that is considered sacred and only grows in this part of the world. Hinoki has been used since ancient times in Japan as a construction material to
build temples and shrines.

https://maisonmukashi.com/blogs/news/magnolia-obovata-honoki

HONOKI (MAGNOLIA OBOVATA)

•  The wood is solid yet light and easy to work with.
•  The grain is closed, regular with few knots.
•  It breaths and drains water easily.

Since 1500 years, in Japan, the large leaves are used as substitute tableware and to keep food.

Magnolia bark is used in the Japanese traditional pharmacopoeia for its antiseptic and therapeutic properties due to a high natural concentration of tannin.

Honoki is traditionally used for the making of sword handles and sheaths.

Good point!

Best way to remember the difference is the stress.
檜 Hinoki is said quickly, 123. Runs off the tongue. They sell Hinoki in the local lumberyard and do-it-yourself stores.

Hō- on the other hand is a long sound on its own, 朴の木 = Hō no Ki. Tree of Hō… Like Santa: Hō, Hō, Hō

Good quality wood is rare and takes years to age.

Stocks of it have generally run out, and artisans dream of finding someone’s secret hoard. 

Thanks gents - every day's a school day

I found someone selling scraps of hinoki, and I've ordered them........ so even if I can't use it to make a habaki, at least  I can build a (very small) temple or shrine! :laughing:

Cheers,

Jon

Archived