Kaigun Toko

Kolekt-To

I understand that, as compared to information about RJT smiths, information about Kaigun Toko (Navy-certified swordsmiths) is lacking. However, does anyone have a partial list available, or at least some names of the more well-known Navy smiths? The name Inaba Kaneyoshi was discussed on the board in the past, but I believe that was the only name that appeared when I searched the site. 

Hi Geoff,

I am like Bruce, I have seen various smiths noted as being Kaigun Jumei Tosho over the years but have never seen a list (or started one).

Here is the one you mention as INABA Kaneyoshi mentioned in Slough p.73 as

(Matsubara) Kaneyoshi Aichi Pref. IM yen). He signed INABA but as Slough says, his real name is MATSUBARA (Toko Taikan p.142, ygr bro. of Nakata Kanehide, Seki RJT 2 m yen)...wonder if he is the often seen "smith" signing INABA on many Navy/Toyokawa stainless steel blades that we see?

Looking forward to the "Geoff List" aren't we Bruce?

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HI Mal,

Well I opened your articles today and YES, I have read them...I must be getting old...forgot. All the info Geoff requested/suggested is there...great work Mal.

Back in the day I had navy swords by Suetsugu Shigemitsu and others...wish I'd kept them...sigh!

Regards,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great info and great resources - thanks again guys. For all of us Kai Gunto fans, this is awesome! 

P.S. I have two of my Type 97's undergoing Koshirae restoration, currently - Tsuka re-wraps, specifically. One is with David McDonald in Montana, the other with Randy Black (my local guy here in the Phoenix, AZ. area). I'll be posting photos when I get my swords back in the weeks ahead. Note: Randy just completed a saya repair for one of my Toyokawa arsenal Kai Guntos - he did a great job (replaced the Kuchigane and the Ishizuke, and applied lacquer to some areas that needed it). 

Happy collecting!

Japanese navy officers_Yamamoto.png

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..