Another sword from the estate

MichaelZWilliamson

Hey Michael,

I actually kind of like aged and worn fittings like yours.

To be honest, the mirrory look and scratches across its length make me worry the sword was buffed, maybe as an improper way of removing rust. I guess the good news is that by taking it, you’ve saved it from further damage.

Right now the features are not very discernible, but perhaps if you use very fine uchiko, like what Robert benson sells, you can make the hamon  and hada easier read. Obviously it wouldn’t be a good idea on an in polish sword but since yours isn’t at all, and may have been buffed, it might  help make it easier to read. This has an explanation http://web.archive.org/web/20191102061738/http://www.sydneytokenkai.com/new-page-14.htm

I wasn’t thinking buying a window from a polisher, I’m not informed enough to know if worth it. 

I wasn’t thinking a DYI polish either as that would risk damage and wouldn’t make the features more visible. Uchiko is a very fine abrasive powder, cleaning historically in use. If used in badly out of polish swords, it can make their details more noticeable. If used on in polish, it can wear away the polish.

You could always contact Robert Benson and ask if he thinks a window worth it but I was wondering if some of his powder alone would help. The link I gave was a discussion featuring him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..