Help needed to translate this kanji on tang of my tanto

Gazmo1

Apologies for posting  my previous pictures  for help with a kanji translation on the tang of my tanto. All I have gleaned so far is the it maybe something like  body centre or body defeat I am probably way way of the mark ! Any help is really  appreciated  

Screenshot_20210818-195439_Photos.jpg

if this were mine and i was trying to figure it out i would start  thinking this is a name (the swords name) as Ray said.  The english meaning of Aki will have little or no help you need someone who recognizes the kanji and know the meaning in the proper sword context.   My guess it it is a name that means something about "cuts like through warm butter"  or similar.   You will need to be patient and someone will know and reply. Thanks for changing the pictures, standing on my head to see the kanji was a challenge

• Like 2

This should be combined with the other thread. As Piers and Ray posted, the kanji are 胴落. Normally in saidanmei style it would probably be read as "dō-otoshi". 

Literally it means "torso + drop", but the meaning is more like "cut off at the chest". Well, that would be the meaning if it were a normal saidanmei on a sword. As Ray says, it feels weird to see this on a tantō because its not likely going to be used to cut anybody in half. Even as a name for the blade, it feels a little over-ambitious. Like calling a pocket knife "demon slayer". I mean, an owner can call a blade anything he wants to, but it would be ridiculous to bring in a tantō to the inscriber and ask him to inscibe it with the words "body cutter" even as a nickname. So, another mystery. Anyway, it isn't the smith's name, so I think the choices are either saidanmei or blade name. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to thank  you all for your amazing  efforts and great knowledge  and help to me! So Jean ,Ray, Mark,Piers and Steve it is very much appreciated,  I will post some proper  pictures  of it at some point right now it is out having new ito wrapping done and then some repairs to the cherry lacquer saya,then lastly a professional polish. Looking forwards to the finished article! But not so much the bill🤗😅 so far I'm at £350 and still the saya repairs and polish to go  Thank very much again all. Your awesome. Regards Gary. And thanks also to Richard Murphy who has been a great help with the legitimate correct persons to carry out the restoration and preservation works for me.

Edited by Gazmo1
Missed out someone to thank

Dear Gary.

Welcome to NMB!

That looks suspiciously like one of the certificates issued by a certain seller based in Brighton, don't pay any attention to it as a source of reliable information.  Much better to listen to what you hear from some of the guys here.

If the nagasa is 355 then it is definitely a ko wakizashi.  Any chance of some images of the rest of it?

All the best.

Thanks Geraint,

That's exactly why I wanted to join you all and truly start to educate myself, with people whom are really in the know! I never just take things  at face value! I have always  been intrigued by Japanese culture and its many different facets. I'm sure it will be an interesting and long journey. Thanks to you all for making me welcome and for all your help and support.  Yes I will certainly  be posting full pictures when I have the ko wakizashi back from restoration unfortunately as I sighted in a previous post, I only took a couple  of pictures  of the tang initially. I did have others but those were lost when my old phone met its maker so to speak. I am looking forwards to doing as much research as possible. As to whom the Smith maybe etc. Pictures  will be posted as soon as I am able.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..