Microdear cloth variants

Dr Nihonto

Dear learned friends.

I recently bought what I thought was the usual orange coloured Microdear cloth from an online store (the picture on their site clearly showed the usual orange one) but what arrived was this green one...

Does anyone have any experience with using this green Microdear cloth variant? Does anyone know whether it is safe to use or should I send it back?

Many thanks,

Costas

Microdear.jpg

Thanks Brian. Are all microdear made equal though? Is this green "pro optic" version as safe/recommend for nihonto as the regular orange version people traditionally recommend? I only have the green one (not what I ordered but what arrived) and so can't compare their relative consistencies...

I'm sure I remember originally seeing a purple cloth elsewhere and was a little concerned when red/pinkish turned up for me.  But the label says it all - PRO OPTIC, Micro Fiber Deluxe.  I'm sure it is the real deal.  Was it expensive Costas, say about $30 to $40???

BaZZa.

Thanks Bazza. Yes, it's definitely legit microdear. It cost about 66 AUD (~48 USD).

I guess I'm just a little paranoid with this being a different version from what you usual see... I think you're probably right though. It definitely says for camera lenses on the back so I can't imagine it would be an issue.

People use tissues, without any issue. I'm pretty sure ANY Microdear cloth intended for thousands of $ lenses will be just fine for a sword.
Relax and use it. It's better than what 99% of us are using. Wish I could find Microdear here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

People use tissues, without any issue. I'm pretty sure ANY Microdear cloth intended for thousands of $ lenses will be just fine for a sword.
Relax and use it. It's better than what 99% of us are using. Wish I could find Microdear here.

Brian, I had to get mine from overseas as I recall, because I couldn't find a source in Australia.  That might have changed these days.  Costa, looking at your AUD $66 cost mine at the time might have been of a similar order.

I asked another collector what he did when the cloth became saturated/choked with oil and suggested washing it.  He said NO, toss it out and get a new one.  I haven't reached that point yet - does anyone else have a point of view on this??

BaZZa.

Bazza,
Like most things, I can easily get them overseas. Only...without a working postal service here (we "decolonized it") my only option is couriers. So anything I import starts at about $80 shipping.
Therefore I can only purchase expensive stuff that is worthwhile :laughing:...........:(

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

I use two Micro Dear PRO OPTIC cloths made in Japan for cleaning my Japanese swords. One cloth is a golden bronze color and the other reddish-pink color with the logo of the of the NBTHK American Branch. I have used one for several years and the other since 2019 without any problem. They wash well after heavy use. In answer to the original question, I do not think the color of the cloth matters and it is likely based upon your own personal preference.       

Several pink ones, large green one, a large tan one.

I only own 2 swords, 2 tanto, and an O-kogatana, but was familiar with Microdear from 1990s onward, while wife had me help her haul her large ass lense Nikons all over South American. Uchiko might damage your swords, but several hundred uses of Microdear has never damaged lens or sword. Last weekend I spent a lovely day viewing several dozen Juyo level swords with a collector who preferred use n dispose kleenex tissues rather than Microdear. I was more concerned about using the Kleenex than the Microdear I had brought.

If you've got orange ones, send them my way. The wife likes Hermes colored stuff.

The logo must have changed. I got my first cloth back in 2003 for my camera lens, have to order them from abroad then a year later Paul Martin mention that they were using them for Japanese swords. The different colours are just preference but I believe the blue one is the most soughted I have no idea why. Sword appraisers trim the edges off in case the stitches catches on something.

image.png.aca630a425eed4a6a87b6aaaf720da70.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..