New Forum Software Update.

Time has come to update the software again. We are a few versions behind and need to keep up as many of the updates are security related. We get a lot of brute force attacks.
New software will come with some improvements. But also a little bit of change. I don't think anything major.
Anyways, I'll be using some of the backup funds to pay an expert to to the update. I am too scared to break stuff.
It is planned around Thursday sometime. Maybe US evening time. So if you find the forum offline, note that it won't be for long.
We'll be up and running asap.

Thanks all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Nah, our current upgraded hosts backup every day. I am very happy with their service and as we can all see, we have had almost zero downtime.
I'm hoping this update speeds things up a bit, but from a security point of view it is vital anyways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7am here. I've only seen the new upgrade for 30 seconds myself.
Have no fear folks...the theme will be fine tuned over the next few days. New themes will be added that you can choose from...including dark ones etc.
Give it a few days.
Now off to work...I'll check back in a few hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Give me a few days to find some nice themes. Not going to mess around with modifying existing ones.
Edit/delete etc are top right of a post, click the 3 dots. Idea is to tidy up everything and make it neat. It's better.
Just for you @Stephen I just added a mod. If you go to an old topic ( I set it at 120 days) there is a warning that this is an old topic, before you reply....and asks you to reconsider rather making a new topic instead of bumping an old one :glee:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ooh...I think there are some nice themes coming up. Just spent about $150 on new themes and software, without the bill from the guy who did it. :(
But I think it will be worth it. Loving the look of some of the paid themes. I'll activate them once I finish fiddling. Some themes may be only for Gold Members...I need to start making that a more attractive option. I'll update with new features as I come across them.

• Like 1

Brian

Couple of problems with update:

1. No invisible choice to sign-in

2. Toggling Sections doesn't hold from one session to next

3.  Notifications choices , stop emails, etc.doesn't work

Other than those, the update looks good. Thanks

Rich

The new layout seems to handle well on iOS. Also, I kind of like the iOS like look.
Obviously it’s just my preferences regarding a single platform so whatever works better for most people is great as far as I’m concerned.

I should note the login seems to be a bit slow so perhaps that’s something to do with the update.

Ok...to address a few queries.

7 hours ago, b.hennick said:

When I click on a topic it takes me to the first post in the thread not the last. 

Barry, it always did that. If you click the topic title of a thread, it takes you to the beginning. If you click the small round dot before the title....it takes you to the first unread post.
Click a section like translation assistance....you see all the threads with new posts, as they are in bold and highlighted, right? Then middle click with your mouse on each of the round dots before the title, and each opens in a new tab, at the first unread post...then you can rapidly read each one and close the tab. At least that's what I do.
Either way, that dot is what you should click.

As far as speed goes: There is a caching setting we are working on, that will speed everything up. Failing that, I'll pay for more memory or whatever. Speed will improve. Just give it a few days.

Mark forum as read: It is still very much there. Top right. You can't miss it. It isn't visible if there are no unread posts. Perhaps that's what happened your side. Open a section with unread topics, then you will see it nicely highlighted.

Rich, I'll check out your points soon

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Mark forum as read: It is still very much there. Top right. You can't miss it. It isn't visible if there are no unread posts. Perhaps that's what happened your side. Open a section with unread topics, then you will see it nicely highlighted.

I see it on a desktop computer but not on a tablet. [EDIT: forget about it, I see it also on the tablet]

• Like 1

hi Brian 

does the board still work / operate with  internet explorer , it is  working but almost unrecognisable as to what was  a few days ago .

I can go through  Google chrome OK , but just asking the question if Internet explorer is now not supported anymore ? 

5 hours ago, Brian said:

As far as speed goes: There is a caching setting we are working on, that will speed everything up. Failing that, I'll pay for more memory or whatever. Speed will improve. Just give it a few days.

It’s already getting better. Almost as soon as I posted I said to myself, “duh, caching!”

Thanks Brian!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raaay said:

hi Brian 

does the board still work / operate with  internet explorer , it is  working but almost unrecognisable as to what was  a few days ago .

I can go through  Google chrome OK , but just asking the question if Internet explorer is now not supported anymore ? 

IE and Edge are being pushed out by most online apps etc. I see less and less support for them. Not sure how the board looks in Edge, but most new plugins aren't supported. Try one of the other themes I mention in the other thread, and see how those react to your browser?

Hi Brian:

I agree that clicking on the orange dot will take me to the unread post. I set up the activity selector to select unread posts.

Unread Content BH

Showing all content I have not read and posted since my last visit.

When I click on the topic is goes to the first unread post. Now it does not.

This no longer works. Instead I have to click on the dot. Small but annoying.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:12 AM, Brian said:

Ooh...I think there are some nice themes coming up. Just spent about $150 on new themes and software, without the bill from the guy who did it. :(
But I think it will be worth it. Loving the look of some of the paid themes. I'll activate them once I finish fiddling. Some themes may be only for Gold Members...I need to start making that a more attractive option. I'll update with new features as I come across them.

Hello Brian,

Small donation sent. :)

Do not credit me and, nether, do  I expect any thing.

It's just to give something back and help the expenses. 

If anything.....

give credit, thanks,  and accolades all the guys that help me, the forum and members ,

and , LOL :) , put up with me.

For the amount of Nihonto information, comradery, time well spent, and learning experiences ,

it's a small 'Price to pay".. :)

Thank You Brian and Richard (?) ( the other gentleman that helps) 

Alton  :)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..