Does the Mei on the Tsuba go on the Inside or the Outside

d3adrock

Hello, more of a general question. I have an antique edo period tsuba on my sword and don't know the correct orientation for the mei to be positioned.

Is there a general rule or tradition for this?

If it's situational then does the context of the tsuba make a difference? Mine has geese flying over a small village on one side, and a moon over a village on the other.

Sorry if this has been answered definitively elsewhere I did look but could not find the answer.

Thanks for any help!

6 hours ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

Ditto , you would expect the main decoration , in this case the hut and geese , to be on the outside of the sword and facing forward when worn .

Ian Brooks

Unless I misunderstood, I think Steves87 suggested the opposite.

The more decorative side of the guard is usually the side facing the hand when held, counter intuitive when you consider Western weapons have the decoration of the guards on the blade side of the weapon. But it has to do with how the sword is worn with the tsuka [handle] facing forward towards the viewer. The hitsu-ana shape can also dictate the orientation of the tsuba but this is complicated when both hitsu are the same shape as in your examples case. Signatures can appear on either side of the guard and indeed long inscriptions overflow onto both sides. I think like almost every aspect of life any hard and fast rules will have exceptions.

PS. it's a very nice guard you have.:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

Since both sides seem to be equally decorated, I have decided that I will go counter to the majority opinion here and have the moon side facing the tsuka, because if I was theoretically going to carry it, I'd want the moon side on display since that's my favorite side.

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers by not choosing the goose side (pun intended)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..