Sword Identification

Rob S

Welcome Rob,

From the picture provided it looks like a REPRO Gunto.

If you're able to take out the mekugi-ana(peg) to disassemble it and see the nakago(tang) of the sword.

Added a link for how to do it, scroll down to the part that says care and maintenance.

https://nbthk-ab2.org/sword-characteristics/

Edited by MarcoUdin
To add link, more pics were added
  • Like 1

Dear Robert.

I have to agree with Gwyn and Brian, this is at best a modern reproduction of a Shingunto, a WWII army sword.  The shaping of the blade, the exaggerated pattern in the steel, the detail of the fittings, the way the hilt is wrapped, all confirm this.

Not to worry, stick around and find out more.

All the best.

• Like 1

Sorry, when I initially saw the post and their was only one photo uploaded of the scabbard. Now that their are other pictures I can assure you a 100% it's a reproduction. Too bad, because the other green scabbards I've seen have always had nice blades inside them.

Hello Rob,

I’m sorry about your sword. If it is any consolation though, there are guides in how to avoid them.
Damascus “hada” and misshapen kissaki are often found in lower end replica http://www.jssus.org/nkp/fake_japanese_swords.html 

Some are more convincing than that nowadays (Changtian sword) and the only safe way to be able to recognize them is to look at photos of good swords, their geometry, nakago and kissaki till you’re familiar with what’s normal.

Usagiya is full of a ton of photos and you can look at dealer sites to get more examples. http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/index.html
Hope these links help.

• Like 1

Robert, just to clinch this do please show us the tang, both sides, full-length from notches to tang tip in good photos.  I'm intrigued to see what appears to be edge steel and the grooves add another element (I think) not usually seen in run-of-the-mill repros.

BaZZa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:13 AM, Rob S said:

Thank you so much for your quick reply... The wrap is covering the peg I think

16290439029645667231675843001282.jpg

You may be able to get away with the cut off end of an old wooden chop stick if you have nothing else or to be extra careful just cut a Qtip in half and push with the padded end if it's not that hard to move.

I'm guessing that peg is painted in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..